Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portland, Oregon And Dublin Ireland: A Lesson
Portland, Oregon And Dublin Ireland: A Lesson
There are news reports that federal agents - without warrants or cause - are driving around Portland in unmarked vans and grabbing protestors off the streets on ‘suspicion’ (it isn’t immediately clear what these people are suspected of).

This is GREAT! Nothing recruits people to a movement like illegal, baseless security overreactions. Precisely the same thing happened in the aftermath of the Easter Rising in 1916 (along with executions, but let’s hope this doesn’t go that far). People who supported the movement from the sidelines and even some who had been indifferent to it, flocked to the cause.

People agitating for civic or political change always have the goal of goading the government into a clampdown of exactly this sort and the result is always the same - it swells the ranks of the people in the streets.

Just a handful of years after the Rising, the Irish Free State was established, followed shortly by the Republic of Ireland.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Portland, Oregon And Dublin Ireland: A Lesson
To sum up– American citizens are “disappeared” from the streets of an American city by camouflaged, unidentified secret police. Detainee released but not told what if any charges.
We’ve seen this law & order playbook before, la mano dura. It is autocratic. It is fascism. Banana republic. Tinpot Dictatorship. Extra-judicial terrorism.

Call it what you will–it’s not democracy. & it is here right now.
(July 17, 2020 at 4:36 pm)ido Wrote: To sum up– American citizens are “disappeared” from the streets of an American city by camouflaged, unidentified secret police. Detainee released but not told what if any charges.
We’ve seen this law & order playbook before, la mano dura. It is autocratic. It is fascism. Banana republic. Tinpot Dictatorship. Extra-judicial terrorism.

Call it what you will–it’s not democracy. & it is here right now.

Actually, they Americans being snatched aren’t being ‘disappeared’. They’re being released as soon as they asked for a lawyer (which I find very telling).

But that’s not the point. The US government is adopting a tactic which nearly always has the opposite outcome from what they’re after. It’s not primarily a legal, ethical, or political issue (although it certainly has elements of all of those). It’s just one more display of the blundering buffoonery which as always characterized the current administration.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
A power bar laced with Ex-Lax would work also. These guys are not very inventive.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 17, 2020 at 4:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There are news reports that federal agents - without warrants or cause - are driving around Portland in unmarked vans and grabbing protestors off the streets on ‘suspicion’ (it isn’t immediately clear what these people are suspected of).

This is GREAT! Nothing recruits people to a movement like illegal, baseless security overreactions. Precisely the same thing happened in the aftermath of the Easter Rising in 1916 (along with executions, but let’s hope this doesn’t go that far). People who supported the movement from the sidelines and even some who had been indifferent to it, flocked to the cause.

People agitating for civic or political change always have the goal of goading the government into a clampdown of exactly this sort and the result is always the same - it swells the ranks of the people in the streets.

Just a handful of years after the Rising, the Irish Free State was established, followed shortly by the Republic of Ireland.

Boru

I don't think what's happening in Portland has anything to do with law and order (not even the twisted version of rightists). It is Trump's brownshirts engaging in live fire training for their anticipated coup in November.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
How do we know that these people are actually police? Because they say so?
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 18, 2020 at 10:03 am)Nomad Wrote:
(July 17, 2020 at 4:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There are news reports that federal agents - without warrants or cause - are driving around Portland in unmarked vans and grabbing protestors off the streets on ‘suspicion’ (it isn’t immediately clear what these people are suspected of).

Boru

I don't think what's happening in Portland has anything to do with law and order (not even the twisted version of rightists).  It is Trump's brownshirts engaging in live fire training for their anticipated coup in November.

Of COURSE it’s got nothing to do with law and order. It’s to do with making the protestors discouraged. It’s a tactic that’s never worked and isn’t going to work now.

Boru
(July 18, 2020 at 12:06 pm)Fireball Wrote: How do we know that these people are actually police? Because they say so?

They’re exactly police - it’s Homeland Security and Border Patrol agents. And we know it’s them because both agencies have said they’re the ones doing it.

Boru
(July 18, 2020 at 12:06 pm)Fireball Wrote: How do we know that these people are actually police?

Whether they're a bastard or not may not be a sufficient condition but it's a necessary one. My half-jokinglyness half-not withstanding.

Personally, I'd replace the ACAB acronym with AHAB.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
(July 18, 2020 at 12:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 18, 2020 at 10:03 am)Nomad Wrote: I don't think what's happening in Portland has anything to do with law and order (not even the twisted version of rightists).  It is Trump's brownshirts engaging in live fire training for their anticipated coup in November.

Of COURSE it’s got nothing to do with law and order. It’s to do with making the protestors discouraged. It’s a tactic that’s never worked and isn’t going to work now.

Boru

I did include the rightists version of law and order in my post. You know the one where law and order are solely to be used in the suppression of dissent.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oregon Has No Death Row BrianSoddingBoru4 6 912 December 14, 2022 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hey Portland - you might get what you deserve. onlinebiker 408 11197 September 8, 2021 at 12:53 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 727 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Oregon Journalist Andy Ngo Attacked By Antifa Members EgoDeath 140 11623 July 21, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  KKK in Northern Ireland? Duty 39 2379 October 30, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "Kill the fetus" ban lifted in Ireland Foxaèr 50 4507 May 28, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Oregon School District forces LGBT kids to read bible as punishment Divinity 42 3685 May 14, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Lesson Here Is Quite Simple Minimalist 5 454 March 9, 2018 at 9:48 pm
  Let This Be A Lesson to Flynn And The Other Hanging Turds on the WLB's Asshole Minimalist 2 745 July 12, 2017 at 1:17 pm
  Coffee shop owner tired of rude customers teaches them a lesson Foxaèr 50 11607 June 22, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama