Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 10:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real?
RE: Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real?
One of my favorite summations of theistic religion actually comes from an atheistic religion.  That gods are a genuine misapprehension of nature.  Of the power that nature held (and still holds) over us...sure, but also, left to our own devices..which is to say without dogma or coercive institutions...we'd find everything in religion that we find in nature.  Amusement and tedium.  Joy, and also misery.  Hope, and also despair.  Motivation to great acts, and detestable ones.  The affirmation of life and it's destruction.  A wide angled glance at the totality of the historic religious landscape seems to confirm this notion.

That our sense of the wholeness or connectedness of all of life is warranted, and now..well demonstrated by our shared ancestry and the complex and quantifiable interactions between species and within environments.  That a commonality of good, whether we choose to conceptualize this as relative or objective, is both possible and present between all alike things.  That our physical impermanence is modified.  In the lasting effects of our actions.  In the quality of our character.  In the memories of those that knew us.  In the form of our children.  That the world as it is is not all it could..or even should..be, and that we seek to effect change in it.  That the totality of this relationship takes uncommon skill to put into words but is recognizable as such by all with that shared experience.

There are alot of good hypothesis as to how gods got attached.  Maybe it's pure accident.  We forgot along the way that we were talking about our granny, not a goddess.  Maybe it's psychological aptness.  We respond well to hierarchal structures and we place a premium on personal authorities.  Maybe it's a socio-economic effect.  Theistic societies outproduced and outperformed their then-current and now-defunct rivals. Maybe we embrace the power of end. In all of this, the most delicious bit..to me...is that we don't need gods to explain any of it, and existent gods add nothing to the thing itself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? - by The Grand Nudger - January 18, 2024 at 12:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4655 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 6928 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2665 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1091 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4900 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3432 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  [Serious] For former Christians, what was it like to "know" Christ? GrandizerII 30 4018 March 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11702 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Jesus Christ and Marvel Interaktive 18 2721 July 21, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4827 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3