Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 18, 2024, 9:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally an atheist proper, with views and questions
RE: Finally an atheist proper, with views and questions
(June 2, 2024 at 5:33 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(June 1, 2024 at 4:05 pm)Lucian Wrote: Hey Grand Nudger, thanks for the nudge. I don’t see any direct link between atheism and moral error theory, merely that is is a view that is consistent with it and makes a lot of sense to me. I recognise there are a bunch of moral realist positions by atheist - something I have had to constantly point out to my friend.

Not sure of exact questions just yet, just an opening post to see what the deal is here

Sure, atheism is consistent with any metaethical position.  When you say error theory makes sense to you are we talking passive "we could get things wrong" or the more comprehensive abolitionist view that we do get everything wrong?  

If you thought about arson and gift giving is it that you think we may be too hard on arson and too soft on gift giving, or that there's truly nothing indecent about arson or decent about gift giving?

So for me the strong form of error theory is what I currently hold to whereby a) moral talk makes claims about mind-indendent normative properties, b) no such properties exist, therefore c) all moral claims are in error. I don't think that necessitates abolitionism whereby we aim to jettison all moral talk at the minimum, and all moral thinking at the most. I think that moral thinking has been hugely helpful in the development of societies, so would favour a more conservationism approach.. I am currently working through the book "The End of Morality: Taking Moral Abolitionism Seriously". It lays out a number of different views to the "what now" question that are fun to tackle with

Re. your arson and gift giving question. Denying that moral properties as described above exist doesn't mean that I don't have strong views one way or the other. I believe arson isn't morally bad, but that doesn't entail that it means I think it is morally good or acceptable either (not suggesting you were saying that, but felt it needed saying). I have the same emotional reaction to people being injured, or property of people being damaged as the next man, and for me that suffices for me to criticise, prevent, punish etc. It would damage people and society if we let that happen, and I happen to not want such damage to society or people to occur.
Error theory to moral properties is often regarded as similar to atheism towards gods. If I say a) claims about god are claims about mind-independent facts b) gods do not exist, therefore, c) all claims are in error it helps to see the analogy. To say that god loves people is in error is not to say that god does not love people. It is to deny that there is anything to do the loving. Similar, to claim that god is good would be in error, but that is not to say that therefore god is bad. Some great discussion of this in the book "A World Without Values: Essays on John Mackie's Moral Error Theory"

Questions about companions in guilt arguments are intriguing at the moment. I have Terence Cuneo's "Normative Web" lined up to read, and also Cowie and Rowland's "Companions in Guilt: Arguments in Metaethics". Current reading on epistemic error theory isn't a convincing parallel to me, although some do lean into that such as Bart Streumer in his "Unbelievable Errors"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finally an atheist proper, with views and questions - by Lucian - June 2, 2024 at 6:06 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 1181 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  My views on God and religion ShinyCrystals 72 6089 October 30, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 19716 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4675 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 173885 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I finally did it! godlessheatheness 36 8217 April 24, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  I finally watched contact on Netflix..... maestroanth 3 1131 February 2, 2017 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7405 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Questions for theist and atheist Torin 14 3997 August 18, 2016 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Torin
  Views that are compatible w/ Atheism free_thinker_at_last 8 1732 August 11, 2016 at 3:27 am
Last Post: robvalue