Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Views that are compatible w/ Atheism
Views that are compatible w/ Atheism
I'm just wondering, do you all think it's compatible to be an atheist but also believe in the supernatural (ghosts, spirits)?  I don't believe in anything outside the physical realm but an atheist friend, who I consider an intelligent person, shared a pretty creepy story with me recently and bear in mind, he's not sympathetic to religion or anything related to the supernatural.  

The problem is, if one subscribes to the supernatural, then that would be the category where a god could possibly exist.  

What are your thoughts?
Don't keep your mind so opened that your brains fall out.
RE: Views that are compatible w/ Atheism
(August 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm)free_thinker_at_last Wrote: I'm just wondering, do you all think it's compatible to be an atheist but also believe in the supernatural (ghosts, spirits)? 

Sure.  Anyone who isn't a theist is an atheist.  That includes many people who believe in ghosts.  

Quote:I don't believe in anything outside the physical realm but an atheist friend, who I consider an intelligent person, shared a pretty creepy story with me recently and bear in mind, he's not sympathetic to religion or anything related to the supernatural.  

The problem is, if one subscribes to the supernatural, then that would be the category where a god could possibly exist.  

What are your thoughts?

Atheism consists entirely of not believing in gods.  It does not consist of not believing in anything compatible with gods.  

[/quote]
I find the idea of a "supernatural" category very perplexing, to the point that I dismiss it as incoherent. For my money, to say that something is other than "natural" is to say it doesn't exist at all. Mental phenomenon are natural. Products of the imagination are mental phenomenon and so natural. There is only that which can be explained now, that which may become understood later and that which may forever be beyond our powers of comprehension. Everything in each one of those categories would be natural so far as I can tell.

To say that anything is apart from natural would mean .. what?
The short answer to your question is "no."
Atheism is in an intimately entwined relationship with skepticism. They are bedfellows. The same demand for evidence should be applied to all claims to the supernatural. Lest we become typical New Age Ninnies.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(August 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm)free_thinker_at_last Wrote: I'm just wondering, do you all think it's compatible to be an atheist but also believe in the supernatural (ghosts, spirits)?  I don't believe in anything outside the physical realm but an atheist friend, who I consider an intelligent person, shared a pretty creepy story with me recently and bear in mind, he's not sympathetic to religion or anything related to the supernatural.  

What are your thoughts?

It's totally compatible, since "theos" means "god" not "spooky strange stuff."

However, most atheists are atheists because they've decided to base their views on evidence, and discard those views of mystery which lack evidence.  So not many are going to share your position.

You could call yourself a "spiritual atheist" I think, and it would be a coherent label.
Absolutely any view whatsoever is compatible with atheism besides belief in gods.
The definition of god is just too fuzzy to say anything definite. Some of those supernatural entities might have similar powers as some gods of old.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 10, 2016 at 11:47 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Absolutely any view whatsoever is compatible with atheism besides belief in gods.

I agree with this.

If you come to atheism through scepticism, which many people do, then scepticism is not compatible with other forms of made-up bullshit. But plenty of atheists aren't sceptics. We don't get to tell them they aren't "real atheists".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My views on God and religion ShinyCrystals 72 4289 October 30, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18706 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3948 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27082 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12452 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  My views on religion dyresand 19 4918 December 24, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12123 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10464 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Your Views on Dawkins? clemdog14 93 27440 January 29, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Zone
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11995 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda