Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for theist and atheist
Questions for theist and atheist
Hi

I have few questions .So my first question is: How do know that you worship your god properly? Do god gived commands on how to worship him, is he instructed how chruch ceremonies should go?

And if answered that god give specific  commands on what to do in church, for priests and participants.Please give proof from bible or other holy book.

Is religion (as organization, or structure) manmade, or god made?
If you think your afterlife will be better than your current life, you're not really living.You're just waiting to die.
RE: Questions for theist and atheist
Just a quick heads-up...

None of these questions apply to atheists, as we recognise no deities of any kind, much less worship them. A lot of us used to be theists, though, so you may get a few responses of that nature. As for myself, I have never been even slightly religious, nor do I ever see a time when I might be.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Reply 1: what god? worship? huh?  -- If you prove to me that a deity actually exists, maybe.  But even then, it is hard for me to imagine such a creature needing humans to gather together and sing about how great IT is, so that IT will answer prayers maybe.

Reply 2:  Instructions for worship come from your local witch doctor.  Consult with him and you're in.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(August 17, 2016 at 6:53 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Just a quick heads-up...

None of these questions apply to atheists, as we recognise no deities of any kind, much less worship them. A lot of us used to be theists, though, so you may get a few responses of that nature. As for myself, I have never been even slightly religious, nor do I ever see a time when I might be.

Yeah, still waiting for the 'Questions for atheist' bit.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 17, 2016 at 5:03 pm)Torin Wrote: Hi

I have few questions .So my first question is: How do know that you worship your god properly? Do god gived commands on how to worship him, is he instructed how chruch ceremonies should go?

And if answered that god give specific  commands on what to do in church, for priests and participants.Please give proof from bible or other holy book.

https://youtu.be/MYSVMgRr6pw
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 17, 2016 at 5:03 pm)Torin Wrote: Hi

I take the word religion at it's base meaning from the Latin religare': to tie, to fasten, to bind together. And this I take personally in the ways and means of practice that tie/bind (yoke) me to the will of God. Many find solace in consensus with those who believe under the same label but If there is a God, I doubt we are judged as groups after death but as individuals, one to One, "to each according to what they have done."

My personal practice of religion has evolved and grown as I have. Just as a beginning musician can barely play guitar and sing at the same time, then with practice they become fluent and and their repertoire of skillful expression grows.

Is organization/structure man made or God made? Both and the later first. Think of the structure that God made as a river and the order that man makes is his method of navigation through the moving waters. Unskillful navigation without respect to the movement of the water will capsize your boat. Man can move harmoniously (good religion) or dis-harmoniously (bad religion) through the medium that is already provided. Ultimately only through personal trail and error will one truly grow and know what it is they are doing....rather than just taking someone else's word for it and believing/doing what ever they do.

(August 17, 2016 at 7:14 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Reply 1: what god? worship? huh?  -- If you prove to me that a deity actually exists, maybe.  But even then, it is hard for me to imagine such a creature needing humans to gather together and sing about how great IT is, so that IT will answer prayers maybe.

Reply 2:  Instructions for worship come from your local witch doctor.  Consult with him and you're in.
If a/The God exists, you are interacting with it no matter what you label it, and whether you do or don't conceptualize it.

If The God is truly infinite and eternal, then a single static conception of it would be more limiting to the interaction than no conception at all.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(August 17, 2016 at 5:03 pm)Torin Wrote: edited for my stupidity

1A. How do know that you worship your god properly?

1B. Do god gived commands on how to worship him, is he instructed how chruch ceremonies should go?

2. god give specific commands on what to do in church, for priests and participants. Please give proof from bible or other holy book.

3. Is religion (as organization, or structure) manmade, or god made?

1A. Between 6AM and approximately 9:30AM each day I flush him.
1B. Only when he tells me I need fiber or a softener.
2. Owners manual for weight limitations, water flow, capacity and trouble shooting.
3. Mine says Standard, I'm guessing man made. If it were divine I wouldn't have to strain.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You know you're doing it properly when your local religious leader tells you thta you are, I guess. Just be careful of the other local places down the street that may have slightly different views, and tell you you're not quite doing it correctly.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

MH, please put your god in the poo thread where it belongs!

So all the gods end up in the sewerage farm? Interesting. My mind is wandering.....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
On another forum I did manage (after considerable effort) to get a christer to admit he was 'concerned' that his church was 'likely' fucking up in allowing divorced and remarried clergy to preach to the pew warmers. Despite my efforts though, his major concern was if his denomination did allow gay clergy (it was under discussion) that there would not be a schism for him to join to escape the gay clergy persons. I did get him (eventually) to consider the possibility that if the schism did continue to allow divorced/remarried clergy (while banning the gay ones) that it would be a strong indication that it was a false religion.

Not one bit of that extraction was easy, he was loathe to admit everyone in his denomination was(possibly) participating in a literal abomination instead of actual worship of their God.

It really brought home to me how deeply this programming runs in folks, and despite clear and compelling Biblical evidence their church poobahs are definitely in significant theological Error, getting him asking and considering what I consider to be very obvious questions about how his church got screwed up was an extremely difficult step for him.

Makes it easier to understand just how simple a matter it was for Jim Jones to get nearly 1000 people to drink cyanide laced Flavor Aid, don't it ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 436 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1942 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1933 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11814 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 146136 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12566 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1096 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Hug a Theist vulcanlogician 31 5514 December 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Sad I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? Mariosep 1101 112770 December 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 44530 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok