Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole
RE: Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole
(December 28, 2011 at 7:07 am)chipan Wrote: yes this is true however it is b/c it was the only way out of poverty for some. people had to work and the only way for them to work was to in a way sell their services. the only difference is that when they sell their services, they themselves can sold to others however they are treated like human beings not cattle. they are respected like human beings, they had specific laws like they had to be able to celibrate the sabath and practice their religion. they were not allowed to rule over them ruthlessly and if the owner dies their services are inherited by their decendents b/c their services are already paid for. to claim this as immoral would be the same as declaring the services of a butler immoral as well. are you against rich people hireing butlers? why don't you look up what an endentured servant was in the 1600's and tell me whether that was immoral as well b/c they are similar to slaves. they weren't paid for their services but they only did work in a paticular field. it's like a young boy doing free work to learn a paticular field such as carpentry. it's basically apprentiship or like internship that they don't get paid for. is this unjust as well?
Don't try to spin it into something it's not. It's human ownership. It's slavery. Most of them (if not all of them) did not choose to be there. They cannot choose to leave. There's no difference between slavers and slave owners in the bible and slave owners in actual history. It doesn't matter of they're treated well.
It's immoral and it's why slavery is denounced by every first world nation in the world and the UN and why slavery has been driven underground. It's not acceptbale under any circumstance.
It's not comparable to butlers because butlers can choose to leave their job at any time and butlers have freedoms of their own, they're paid for their service (and not a slave wage mind you), and they can quit at any time.
That is NOT THE SAME THING and your spinning of what the bible actually says about slavery isn't actually what the bible says about slavery.

I'll give you a clear example:

Exodus 21 Wrote:21:20 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.
21:21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.
21:22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
21:23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
21:25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
21:26 And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake.
21:27 And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.
21:28 If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit.
21:29 But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.

So according to the colored blue passage, it's okay to beat your slave to death, as long as you do it over the course of days.
It's also okay to maim your slave, but you should avoid the eyes, teeth, and such, otherwise you have to let him go free after you're done. Because god is "charitable."
So yeah, the bible says slavery is A-OKAY and even gives you a handy-dandy guide to a biblically acceptable way to beat and maim your slaves.
E21 is entirely a how-to guide to buying, owning, and beating slaves.

So actually read your own bible, come back, and tell me again how the bible says you should treat your slaves like human beings? I'm pretty sure it says something like this:

Exodus 21;21 Wrote:Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.
He is his money. Not a person.
Money.

(December 28, 2011 at 7:07 am)chipan Wrote: really? so you don't consider it a punishment for someone to be fined for a crime? ok then why are people fined all the time for breaking the law in our society? and you can't compare buying a car to a fine when you buy a car you're getting something but when you're fined you're not. and really there was a few? you only brought one passage that supposidly glorified rape but multiple on every other point why don't you bring more scripture to prove your point then?
In today's society, you get fined for parking in a no parking zone. You get fined for driving too fast. You get fined for parking in a handicap parking space. You get fined for not filing government paperwork on time. You get penalized for spending more money than you have in your bank account.
Do I consider a fine to be punishment for raping a woman, getting her as a wife (and all the free labor that women are forced to do for their husbands in the bible as well as the children they can bear for you), and possibly a tie to a powerful family in the exchange?
No. No I don't. Perhaps it's just my modern sensibility and my own love of women in general that's giving me a bit of bias vs. the bible's inability to recognize women as more than mere playthings for men, but we fine people today for minor offenses. Rape is not only a felony that can legally and socially stigmatize you for the rest of your life, it's also terribly immoral and emotionally (if not also physically) scarring event for the victim.
In the bible, rape is none of those things. At worst, it's the biblical equivelent of taking someone's car for a joyride without the owner's permission.
That's not a punishment at all.

I would also like to take this moment to remind you that the bible does not condemn rape or slavery or list them as immoral acts.

(December 28, 2011 at 7:07 am)chipan Wrote: i don't know exactly what instances you were talking about but i can say that many people use scripture as an excuse to do evil just as they use other things. the fact is religion is a tool often used to justify war but is not really the main reason. the main reason is people want to start war and they will use any tool they can to justify it whether it be politics, religion, greed, revenge, hatrid, or just spreading lies. there will always be war and unjustified killings reguardless of whether religion exists or not b/c the fact is some people just want to hurt others and they will do anything to convince others to join them.
That's because scripture gives people permission to treat other people as though they weren't human. Slaves and women, for example, who have only had civil liberties in America for maybe 60 years.
And don't you dare tell many christians that "gay" should be an acceptable lifestyle. In some places, that mistake can be fatal.
It helps that God appears to approve and kill gays for their sodomy.

That's just one example.

(December 28, 2011 at 7:07 am)chipan Wrote: if you're refering to stories of the old testoment however, you'll notice that there was always a reason he killed people.
Commandment #6 says: “You shall not murder.

So I guess murder is a sin punishable by damnation to everyone except god, moses, and countless others in the bible?

I'm pretty sure I can come up with better reasons for murdering people. Usually for breaking any of the other commandments. It was apparently okay enough of a reason to flood the world and commit a horrible genocide (one of many god commits against humanity) in which every man, woman, and child in the world all died from drowning.
He of course chose to save Moses, because he certainly never broke any of god's commandments and is apparently a just and right person.

I'm sorry, but there's no way god of the bible or any of his followers in the main bible stories are moral people - even by the bible's own standards. "Reasons" or not.

(December 28, 2011 at 7:07 am)chipan Wrote: do you know this from looking at the inteligent design theories? or just from what evolutionists have said? as they say, if you want to learn about a subject the best place to get information is from the source.
Yes. I know this because I've seen the arguements hashed, rehashed, and double rehashed as well as refuted numerous times by evolutionists, fans of science, and anyone who has any working knowledge of the topic.

I've also done all of that myself with people with good knowledge of the topic myself. I don't enjoy tooting my own horn, but I do have some command of the topic.

(December 28, 2011 at 7:07 am)chipan Wrote: "well i haven't seen the movie myself either and only just recently heard of it but i'm going to see it to see what it has to say.
Go for it.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan

Messages In This Thread
RE: Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole - by TheDarkestOfAngels - December 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11489 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Easy comebacks ? Macoleco 50 6217 November 22, 2019 at 6:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why garden and not whole world? Fake Messiah 14 2599 March 21, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7761 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16804 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1162 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23390 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8947 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 17356 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9895 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee