Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole
RE: Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole
"Although this was directed to someone else, I'll respond to it since it's relevant to my discussion;
Okay, there's a lot to cover here, so I'll start with this.
First of all, Jacob didn't rape Dinah, Shechem did. Dinah is Jacob's daughter."

your right my mistake.

"So poor Dinah was raped. The punishment for the man? Death because he wasn't circumsized.
As for her? Filthy whore."

oh sorry is death not a good enough punishment for you? and don't you see why they're forced to marry according to Deuteronomy 22:28-29? at the time no man wanted to marry a woman who had been defiled and whether it be right or wrong, back then all women did and ever wanted to do was get married, take care of their husbands, and raise a family. a man doing that to her would take away her sole purpose for living which is why he is also forced to marry her. you cannot compare today's cultural view to back then cuz today's culture DID NOT EXIST. and you say the man does not get punished enough according to this law? well how about this, the man not only has to pay her family a buttload of money and marry the girl (which means support her for the rest of her life) he won't get anything from her parrents, his own parrents would disown him so even if he's the firstborn he wouldn't get his inheritance, and he would be treated as an outcast by everyone for what he's done. good way to get a wife? sure if you want to give up everything else in your life. hope it's worth it.

"Being able to buy yourself out of slavery (something not every slave could do) doesn't make slavery moral nor does it make it the equivelent of a regular modern job (which you can leave at any time) nor does it mean that they're treated any more humanely as slaves nor does it make slavery moral."

oh really? what exactly makes slavery wrong? well if you would ask anyone who has been a slave they would probably tell you they don't treat you right, they punish you just for fun, there's no freedom, it's a life forced upon you, and there's no way out of it. you say it doesn't make it equivelent to a modern job with nothing to back it up? what does that mean? as i've seen in someone's signature many times "what is said without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." being a slave back then was the same as being an endentured servant which coexisted with slaves in america and were considered different. people from england would want to come to america but didn't have the money so they sold their services for a temporary amount of time so they could come here. is this wrong? and you have claimed slaves are mistreated in the bible but give an example cuz all i see in the bible is "You shall not rule over him with rigor" over and over again in the bible.

"I get it. What you don't get is that the bible says things that are different than what you are telling me. It's the equivelent of telling me that slaves aren't slaves because they can choose to flee from their captors or they can buy themselves out - both options are either incredibly difficult or impossible for many slaves modern, historical, and biblical."

no it's not. before i compared being a slave back then to being a butler and you said
"It's not comparable to butlers because butlers can choose to leave their job at any time and butlers have freedoms of their own, they're paid for their service (and not a slave wage mind you), and they can quit at any time."
well i just showed you a passage that says they can quit anytime as long as they can pay back the money they were paid in advance. so again how are they different?

"I quoted the entire passage and it said that the slave can't die on the same day as the beating but the slave can die later. It did not specify as to why. That's all you."

your right, it did not however can you state a scenario where someone can beat their slave and they die a couple days later after being left alone from the beating? in a couple days they would have healed unless they have serious injuries like broken bones but a master would never break their slave's bones cuz that would make him useless. how can a slave die from a beating 2 day afterwards? if he does die at that amount of recovery time you can safely say the beating did not cause the death correct me if i'm wrong.

"I'm repeating to you literal passages in the bible. I'm not "assuming" the worst I'm telling you what the bible literally states to make my point."

and what point is that? that you can rule over your slaves with rigor? cuz if that's your point then you're wrong as i've already covered the bible says "You shall not rule over him with rigor."

"Where is the punishment for RAPE?"
already covered in Deuteronomy 22:28-29. i also explain in this very post why this punishment is enough. see if you can find it.

"So his state-sponsered executions were okay, according to this logic."

oh so first you say God is wrong for punishing those people back then and now you say God is wrong for not punishing people today? you can't have your cake and eat it too. you don't care if it's right or wrong all you was to do is use whatever you can to say it's wrong.

"I think I just godwinned this arguement."

not even close. God doesn't interfere anymore today the same reason a parrent lets his child go on his own when he grows up. God created this earth, raised it, and now he's interfering less and less as we take care of ourselves. it even states in revelations that at one point he won't interfere at all and he'll just let terrible thing happen with the rise of the antichrist and the world coming to an end. whether you like it or not, that's your reason. and also if you notice, God punished his own people more than the gentiles at the time b/c his people were disobediant. maybe that's why he doesn't interfere as much, we're not jews and since christ he's been distant with them as well.
"Let's see....your fucking 'god' says "thou shalt not kill" - his fucking 'son' says to not even resist but somehow you play Philadelphia lawyer on your own horseshit and come up with lots of reasons why your divinities are wrong."

i've already covered this. if you want to learn you have to read
"Let's see....your fucking 'god' says "thou shalt not kill" - his fucking 'son' says to not even resist but somehow you play Philadelphia lawyer on your own horseshit and come up with lots of reasons why your divinities are wrong."

i've already covered this. if you want to learn you have to read

Messages In This Thread
RE: Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole - by chi pan - December 29, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11520 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Easy comebacks ? Macoleco 50 6236 November 22, 2019 at 6:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why garden and not whole world? Fake Messiah 14 2601 March 21, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7775 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16815 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1162 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23432 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8959 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 17373 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9915 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee