Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 1:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
First Atheism forum
#1
First Atheism forum
I'm sat here at work, my mind-numbingly tedious job, and decided I would look for an Atheism forum to join so I could engage in some interesting conversation/debates/general banter.

I'm 20, I come from a part of England called Stoke on Trent and I'm going to be studying Creative Writing and Philosophy this coming September at university.

As I'm sure most people on here have, I used to go to church, went to Christian camps/outings, youth clubs, all of that. My parents are not religious, but the youth group I used to attend was. Though when I hit the age of about 13/14 I started to wonder about everything, and more specifically, what role 'god' had ever actually played in my life. The answer was none. I spent the next few years wondering about life, our place on Earth and our place in the universe. Then I really started to get into astronomy and realised that us and everything on this planet are incredibly insignificant. I began to ponder the origins of religion and the thing it nearly always came down to was this:

Religion is a logical and natural invention for intelligent beings who are stupid enough to not understand how things work or why things happen.

I say stupid not in an insulting way, but in the way that science has not been delved into enough to understand things such as floods, tornados, earthquakes, death, disease, the night sky, even certain types of trees/plants would have been mystical to an unevolved species.

I'm sure many of you have watched the Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair debate, and that you have probably picked up on the recurring themes in Tony's arguments which got incredibly annoying because he never actually answered any of Hitchens' questions he just recycled the same line over and over - 'I'm not saying that people don't do bad in the name of religion, but I am saying that peopl do good'. Though Hitchens made an amazing point that I had never thought about before. That was if religion got rid of all super-natural claims and was truly a thing of Humanism, then it would actually be a force for good in the world.

But yes, hopefully I'll get to know some people quite well and take part in some interesting stuff!

I also enjoy drawing. Dark drawings hahaha!

[Image: 9Cvx6.jpg]
Reply



Messages In This Thread
First Atheism forum - by daniel.ian.morris - May 3, 2012 at 5:23 am
RE: First Atheism forum - by NoMoreFaith - May 3, 2012 at 5:26 am
RE: First Atheism forum - by Kayenneh - May 3, 2012 at 5:29 am
RE: First Atheism forum - by frankiej - May 3, 2012 at 5:47 am
RE: First Atheism forum - by KichigaiNeko - May 3, 2012 at 6:26 am
RE: First Atheism forum - by Tobie - May 3, 2012 at 1:40 pm
RE: First Atheism forum - by Gambit - May 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm
RE: First Atheism forum - by Matt231 - May 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm
RE: First Atheism forum - by Minimalist - May 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm
RE: First Atheism forum - by 5thHorseman - May 3, 2012 at 3:42 pm
RE: First Atheism forum - by Napoléon - May 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Words c152 33 7343 October 17, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: c152
  First Post athrock 19 5360 November 26, 2015 at 9:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My first post XAccess 25 6869 April 6, 2015 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
Wink My First Argument and Logical Fallacy JesusHMuhammad 6 2963 July 15, 2014 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  My first post wynnwalker 7 2842 December 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  First things first Bad Writer 61 21653 June 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  My first atheist forum experience! Clueless Morgan 21 9321 June 9, 2013 at 4:30 am
Last Post: Aractus
  First time here Lilyl 25 7243 April 5, 2013 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Violet
  Long time atheist, first time poster... JustEd 13 5669 April 4, 2012 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Erinome
  First intro ever, am I doing this right Xcentric 12 4643 March 1, 2012 at 2:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)