Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 7:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope Allegedly Sought Immunity For Abuse Crimes Just Before Resigning update
RE: Pope Allegedly Sought Immunity For Abuse Crimes Just Before Resigning update

I'm not particularly knowledgable about the subject, but Ratzo's rolling back the reforms of Vatican II disturb me far more than the complicity in child abuse. In the latter, he's largely just another cog in a machine, no more particularly worthy of individual prosecution than any of the manyfold generals ignored in the trial of leaders of the defeated German Reich. At the end of the day, I suspect he was little more than an ecclesiastical paper pusher, shuffling lives from his in basket to his out basket. Vatican II on the other hand, was a cog reversing its direction and setting time back a few notches.

The other problem is that the authority of bodies like the ICC to try people for crimes against humanity exists as a web of international treaties, among which, significant links are missing. (To my recollection, the U.S. agreed to the necessary treaty, but its force was disavowed under the Bush administration. There are similar stories to be told for other significant players.) In the main, the effective ability of bodies like the League of Nations, the U.N., and the ICC exists more symbolically than in actual reality. And then there's the hypocrisy element, as such crimes have usually only been prosecuted against the losers of wars or other military action, making such proceedings appear to be a shameless example of the victors writing the history on the backs of the losers, when the only real distinction between them and other equally deserving candidates is that they didn't lose a war.

The other important point is that these calls for major political leaders to be tried for crimes against humanity are all show and no go. Anyone with a lick of sense (imo) knows that these movements are little more than PR campaigns which consume time, resources, and attention when steps which might actually have a chance of producing constructive change are thus shunted and ignored.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pope Allegedly Sought Immunity For Abuse Crimes Just Before Resigning update - by Angrboda - February 25, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straight from the Pope's mouth Foxaèr 27 2104 December 20, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 21720 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 9226 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  Covid-19 lowered the number of crimes WinterHold 33 2783 April 29, 2020 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Disturbing child abuse linked to Voodoo and Chrsitianity downbeatplumb 5 910 January 16, 2019 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why does the Pope wear such funny clothing? GODZILLA 22 3483 June 27, 2018 at 2:24 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  In Buddhism Where Will Souls Go if they Haven''t Reached Nirvana Before the Sun Dies? Rhondazvous 11 2158 November 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: LuisDantas
  Now and before. WinterHold 78 11385 March 15, 2017 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why are Christians so ignorant of their religions history and it's crimes GoHalos1993 24 7548 December 7, 2015 at 10:12 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  For anyone who likes Pope Francis Creed of Heresy 26 3950 February 7, 2015 at 6:34 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter