Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
(March 8, 2013 at 1:24 pm)apophenia Wrote: Just a quick note here. The argumentum ad populum or appeal to consensus is not a fallacy if the validity of the proposition is in fact necessarily dependent on or indicated by the will or opinion of the people (such as is argued here, by atheists). It is only when the will of the people itself does not logically necessitate the validity of the proposition that it is a fallacy.

(example, "The majority of practicing cosmologists subscribe to the big bang theory. Therefore, the big bang theory is the scientific explanation of the nature of the universe's origins." Practicing cosmologists are the relevant scientific community, and the consensus of the scientific community determines what is the accepted scientific theory, therefore, while the appeal is to consensus, it is not fallacious. Whether morals are properly a legitimate subject to be decided by consensus or not is exactly what is at issue, so the cry of "argumentum ad populum fallacy" lacks proper foundation to be made in this matter.)

That's the point I was trying to convey, thank you for putting it much more succinctly.

I tire of my inability to convey my thoughts properly. *grumbles*

Also, mo, you haven't responded to my reply, which, in my humble opinion, so far best addresses [at least in detail anyway] your question.

(March 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm)mo66 Wrote: No, the fact that Atheists on here such as yourself are using argument from ridicule shows the standard of debate here; very very low. No understanding of logical argumentation, just fallacy after fallacy.

I can judge Min's posts and apply it to the forum in general because Min. has apparently been voted "member of the year". That speaks volumes, when an ignoramus like that is held in high regard. Disgusting.

Did I say his opinion is worthless because of his age? No! Stop using a strawman. God, the level of debate is shit here.

Actually...uhm...

(March 8, 2013 at 1:12 pm)mo66 Wrote: Not surprising that some people on here can't reason, we're looking at a very old age group in Min. Intellect isn't sharp at such an age.

That's a very roundabout way of saying "you're stupid because you're old." You ARE making that claim, and that is a roundabout way of dismissing his opinion, since it's quite common for individuals to dismiss the opinion of people they consider to be of inferior intellect. Just because something is not directly said does not mean it is not heavily implied. Trying to play smoke-n-mirrors here isn't going to work, I can see right through such silliness.

Also, if the level of debate is really so bad then how come you haven't completely demolished my position yet? How come you instead seem to be ignoring it for some reason? Is it because you're actually NOT the cream of the debating crop here, and you've been bested by one who is self-admittedly a novice at debates [me]?

See, if you're curious at the outrage being shown to you, it's because you are bringing up propositions that most of us feel is morally vomit-inducing. The idea of killing another human being is abhorrent to us because, I feel, as atheists, we've come to value human life far greater than those of religious individuals do. Reason being that since we no longer find ourselves submitting to an entity that, in claim, values human life as nothing more than something that is expendable and worthless without worship directed towards said entity. Instead we find ourselves valuing life for what it is; finite, and therefore precious. So when you so casually suggest killing someone for a crime that didn't even involve someone else being killed, to us, you are spewing bile and positively detestable and loathsome ideas. It would be the equivalent of me coming into a mosque and taking a huge, wet dump all over every single quran, then having the gall to demand to know why everyone is suddenly so offended and insulting.

In fact, muslims do this quite often. Anytime anything is just said, via spoken word or written word, about the "prophet muhammed" or allah in the negative, there are suddenly THRONGS of muslims screaming for the violent deaths of those who said it. So to put it bluntly: Quit being butthurt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Creed of Heresy - March 8, 2013 at 7:18 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cinjin - March 11, 2013 at 11:32 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cinjin - March 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by C3P0 - March 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Nine - March 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cato - March 17, 2013 at 1:01 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 18, 2013 at 4:20 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 22, 2013 at 10:35 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 3:56 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 5:24 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 6:06 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 10:18 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 25, 2013 at 4:43 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 25, 2013 at 8:05 am
Re: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by frz - March 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 585 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2301 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4905 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11710 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4891 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2240 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4809 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9606 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27788 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Subjective Morals and Societal Whims InteresedUser 114 31359 May 25, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Bunburryist