Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 2:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell...
RE: My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell...
There is no rigorous way to relate quantity of punishment to objective experience. People just make something up. Punishment does not exist inside of actions, it is exists inside of the people who punish it.

So when people say things like "eternal punishment is unjust" like they are talking about a mathematical relationship, it isn't like this at all.

Why should anyone believe that eternal punishment is unjust? Why should repayment of sin follow one curve of judgement than another curve?

There is no way to prove that punishment of an action should be lesser or greater. I challenge anyone here to "prove" that a burglar "deserves" 2-5 years of punishment as opposed to 25-50. Where does the word "deserve" find its reference? To the person making the claim. It is made up.

People have a sense that there must be punishment for crimes, this is from God, but that sense doesn't tell us exactly how it should be done. People also have a sense that there must be mercy and impartiality applied, and this also comes from God. But there is absolutely no way to mathmatize this, no way to prove that people deserve one punishment about another.

There is nothing "scientific" or "logical" about saying that eternal punishment is necessarily an unjust punishment, because there no scientific or logical relationship between actions and the punishments they deserve. It is more like there are different circumstances, repeat offenders deserve worst circumstances, motives, culture, level of knowledge about what was happening and many other things color the nature of what happened.

That all said, I am not sure that the Bible necessarily teaches that people will always receive eternal punishment, without exception or any chance of being accepted. When you look at what Jesus says to the thief on the cross, who repents of his sins, he says "today you will be with me in paradise". He didn't require the thief to meet a faith test (other than humbling himself) or to have a sanctified life and he didn't reject the thief even though he was a condemned criminal.

I am not sure that it is not possible for God to accept people into heaven under these same circumstances, as they are dying like the thief, right after they die, or at some other time.

But there is no reason that eternal punishment is necessarily unjust. No one will ever prove that in any rigorous terms, they will just use psuedo-logical terminology to make points that seem like common sense, really they are just people arguing their pressupositions that punishment should follow the form that is acceptable to them or their culture.

Messages In This Thread
RE: My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell... - by jstrodel - March 28, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 12411 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Eternal bliss Cod 135 17184 September 6, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9615 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Nature's reasoning for religion... maestroanth 4 1534 May 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Eternal Damnation Hungry Hungry Hippo 14 5143 August 15, 2015 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Hungry Hungry Hippo
  Free Will and Loving/Rejecting God Nope 126 30218 January 26, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12765 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The more you attend Church, the more likely you are so support Torture. CapnAwesome 111 16696 December 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Eternal punishment is pointless. Ryantology 497 65787 December 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  God is not the only eternal one ! (if he exist) reality.Mathematician 16 3493 June 19, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: reality.Mathematician