Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 3:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism
RE: False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism
(June 7, 2013 at 5:45 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: Sure, but denying or disbelieving in the existence of God is not the same thing as merely “lacking a belief” in God or gods, you’re still taking a position. This has been my argument from the beginning; the whole “lacking a belief in god” is not an accepted definition for the term and stems from intellectual laziness more than anything.

Gotta take issue with this "intellectual laziness," thing: you're mistaking honesty for laziness. Like, here, you went on to say this:

Quote:
I see no reason why a person having enough intellectual and philosophical fortitude in order to take a position on the matter and defend it is something to be sad about; I wish more non-believers did the same.

Why are you so desperate for everyone to have an answer, any answer, even if we don't have enough information to formulate one that has even the vaguest hopes of being correct? What's so wrong about admitting we don't know? Why is brashly sticking to one answer without sufficient information a positive trait, to you?

What this is is having an open mind, Statler. You say you can prove your position, and my position is that I'll weigh the evidence and see if it convinces me. Given that as of yet nobody has been able to prove a god to me, isn't this position where I might be convinced better- both in general and for you specifically- than one where I assert there is no god?

What's wrong with admitting you might be wrong, Statler?

Quote:Why did you ignore my point? Is my hypothetical person a Muslim or not? It has a huge impact on the debate because it means atheists share the burden of proof.

No, your hypothetical person wouldn't be a muslim, any more than he would be a muslim if you went up to him while he was eating a hotdog and loudly asserted that all people who eat hotdogs are muslim. Even if a number of philosophers also said that all eaters of hotdogs are muslim.

Hell, even if a bunch of hotdog manufacturers said that.

Quote:
You do not have the root meaning of the word on your side at all; it means belief in no god. You’re right about one thing though, I cannot force you to correctly self-identify yourself, if you wish to call yourself a Buddhist or Muslim go right ahead, but you’re not any less one of those than you are an atheist in the philosophical sense.

So argue against the Smorkulist position. Like I said, the word isn't the key part of the debate.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism - by Esquilax - June 7, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When believing false things is comforting Silver 45 6577 September 26, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2218 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Silver
  The false self and our knowledge of it's deception proves God. Mystic 89 13999 April 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 7758 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
Heart A false god does not exist, but the True One exists! Right? theBorg 26 6628 September 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  False pagan gods are not the True ones? theBorg 88 17528 August 17, 2016 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Meaning of Sin, False Christians, Atheists, and Misinterpretations TheChrist 64 15804 August 2, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Gandhi rejected Christianity as a false religion Silver 13 4571 January 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Proof christianity is false Lemonvariable72 24 10398 December 5, 2013 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  the logical fallacies of religion and false arguments Nightfoot92 5 4243 September 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Walking Void