Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 8:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
(August 10, 2013 at 6:46 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(August 10, 2013 at 6:26 am)Theo Zacharias Wrote: I never said I'm being pushed to be a theist. In fact I said that being a theist brings an overall positive effect to me. It means that I'm happy being a theist and that give me a reason to (stay to) be a theist.
I also have mentioned before that to change my position to atheist will most likely bring a negative effect to me under my circumstance. That's a reason *for me* not to change my position to atheist.

No, that's a reason not to express your atheist beliefs until a time when your circumstances change.

If there is an evidence that God does not exist, i.e. if the truth is God does not exist, then yes, that might be a reason to hide the truth. But if there is no evidence that God does not exist then we don't know what the truth is. Why should I change my position to atheist? What's the reason?

(August 10, 2013 at 6:46 am)Esquilax Wrote: You can't will yourself into theistic belief any more than you can make yourself believe that unicorns exist; you don't choose your beliefs at all. Your beliefs are an evolving set of acceptances that change based on additional knowledge and rationalizations, but you're not able to consciously force something to be believable for you. Want a test? Here's a claim: I'm a fire elemental, typing this on a lead lined, fireproof keyboard. Now, make yourself believe that that's true. Wink

You can choose to *try* to believe in something. It's a process that take time. I never said that if you choose to believe in something then at the very moment you do believe in it right away. Again, it takes time and effort. Your effort can be successful (you can finally after weeks, months, or years later truly believe) or it can also fail.
In my case, I choose to *stay to* believe in God. I have believed in God in years so it's not a difficult thing to do for me.

(August 10, 2013 at 6:46 am)Esquilax Wrote: Now, whatever it is you actually believe- and I'm not going to speculate on what that is- is not connected to the pragmatic reasoning you've given here; if your circumstances are the only things keeping you theistic, then you must not believe very fervently in them. And if you believe because it makes you happy then... well, I hope you're okay with believing in things that may be untrue.

I never said that that's the only reason, and you shouldn't assume that I'm not believe very fervently in whatever I believe. It's certainly irrational to make this assumption without more information.
Yes, I'm very ok believing in things that may be untrue.
How about you? Do you only believe things that *absolutely* true? Do you honestly said that you don't believe anything that may be untrue?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong? - by Theo Zacharias - August 10, 2013 at 7:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 9849 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2792 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33565 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 41888 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17763 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 82693 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3590 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1433 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9995 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1178 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus