Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 4:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
(August 26, 2013 at 6:13 am)Tonus Wrote: The atheist/naturalist view seemed far less likely when we had a more limited understanding of our universe.

A little bit of science will take you away from God but a lot of science will bring you closer to him. Once you understand everything that was involved in a creation of the universe such as this and ultimately humanity is becomes very difficult to see it in terms of a blind natural force.

(August 26, 2013 at 6:13 am)Tonus Wrote: The farther back you go and the more limited the understanding, the less likely it seemed.

The Bible if you read what it says about the universe and Gods relationship to it, though it gets a number scientific details of the universes construction wrong (they thought the Earth was flat and stood on pillars), still stands up to scrutiny today. You will it powerfully moving to read.

(August 26, 2013 at 6:13 am)Tonus Wrote: The more we learn and understand about our universe, the more likely it seems. The reverse seems true for religious claims and belief systems. It may not be long before your latter statement is amended to remove the "very." And perhaps not much longer before we remove the "un" from "unlikely" as well.

I already went through the atheist stage in my mid teens to mid 20s so I've given it a decent go. If you want to get properly serious about your atheism have a read of Lucretius On the Nature of Things, it sums up your view of the universe very nicely. The Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey while it may be some kind of deism is also good satire of religion from the naturalists perspective and The Grand Design by Stephen Hawkings will give you a few pointers of what a purely material/natural universe would in practice involve.

You can read On the Nature of Things online, it's as close as a thing as you can get to an atheist religion text, though he would have seen it as a religion in itself not a lack of one.

http://classics.mit.edu/Carus/nature_things.1.i.html
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong? - by Sword of Christ - August 26, 2013 at 6:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 10048 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2814 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33744 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42242 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17899 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 83682 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3640 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1440 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 10297 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1185 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus