Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2026, 1:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Atheist? Write your poetry here....
#7
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here....
(March 11, 2010 at 11:01 pm)Amphora Wrote: We real cool, we left school,
we lurk late, we strike straight
we sing sin, we thin gin
we jazz june, we die soon

Gwendolyn Brooks.

Incidentally, I have written two poems, but I'm more of a prose writer.


A GAME OF SOFTBALL


I stand awaiting my
Turn for softball.
One person practices his
Swing. He walks up to
Me as he practices. I get
Hit by his bat and I
Scream. Half the class
Laughs pointing at me claiming I should have
Moved away. I lost half of
A tooth, a Pint of
Blood at the very least and
My illusions of the kindness
Of people in my school and
The kindness of people in general and
The kindness of God, if he even ever was.
The Pain overwhelms me
For the rest of the day, but the pain
And the scars on my lip
Remain, has remained, and will
Forever remain in my mind.

(This poem was written about an incident in my youth.)

The second poem is one based on a famously maudlin poem by Wordsworth in rhyme and metre, about the suicide of Budd Dwyer. My morbid and deadpan sense of humour shines through here.

THE R BUDD DWYER TAPE

Horrors around the 'Net abound,
I watch them with my mouth agape;
But one's seen none until one's found
The Famous R. Budd Dwyer Tape.
When watching it, I'd foreward lurch,
more than when I saw Propersearch.

Budd knew that he would go to jail,
decided he had had enough,
so for tomorrow's Daily Mail,
he blew his whole damn head clean off.
He said, just as he found his gun,
“Stand back, 'cos this will hurt someone.”

And wading on the River Lethe,
Budd stands alone, but less a head,
A catch from “The Faces of Death”
Known less alive than when he's dead.
Stigmatized by Society,
He made his Notoriety.

It's seen by thousands every day,
You see that I am one of them.
And in this fine, fine month of May,
I'm sidetracked in study for Chem.
And so, my mouth no more agape,
I watch the R. Budd Dwyer Tape.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by no.saintsfan - March 11, 2010 at 12:26 pm
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by tavarish - March 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by Amphora - March 11, 2010 at 11:01 pm
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by Rev. Rye - March 12, 2010 at 11:03 am
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by LEDO - March 11, 2010 at 11:07 pm
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by Xyster - March 12, 2010 at 1:13 am
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by Dotard - March 12, 2010 at 8:42 am
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by deicide110 - March 12, 2010 at 7:32 pm
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by Rev. Rye - March 12, 2010 at 9:52 pm
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by LEDO - March 13, 2010 at 7:25 am
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by tackattack - March 13, 2010 at 7:34 am
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by deicide110 - March 13, 2010 at 7:42 am
RE: Atheist? Write your poetry here.... - by LEDO - March 13, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 16917 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Kitan Etos 24 7460 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 53200 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  A challenge for any Atheist who been here for a long time! Mystic 36 10915 January 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 9809 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Your lack of imagination is your defeat Little Rik 357 121367 July 27, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  As an atheist, what makes your socks go up and down?? vorlon13 4 2416 May 18, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 6623 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 44637 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 11622 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)