Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
(February 19, 2014 at 3:01 am)max-greece Wrote: OK GC,

I have to say I have now re-read your response and frankly its awful:

You accept that everything Joseph did was based on a dream and then regard that as a reliable source of information for him - without a hint of irony.

You insist Emmanuel is a prophetic name without any justificaiton and your research didn't yield any support for you that you have cited.

I'm saying no Christian understands the trinity. You are then saying that I am using my lack of understanding of the trinity as a dodge?

You say the scapegoat was a foretelling of Jesus - I'm saying it was an idea copied. Impasse.

Christianity doesn't disavow good deeds - it merely tells its followers that they have no value in getting a place in heaven. Hardly a ringing endorsement is it.

Answers like "God created hell Christians didn't make it up" are fairly useless to an atheist. Until proven otherwise Christians did indeed make it up.

The same applies to "You talk as if Christianity was a plan by man."

Quote:Christians do not have the license to sin at will and anyone who believes this will find themselves in a bad position come judgement.

Well according to Christian tradition and as explained by Jesus himself (Prodigal Son?) Christians are free to do whatever the fuck they want to as long as they get that confession in at the end.

Then there's the typical no true Scotsman - only its for all the Catholics - over a billion of them.

You're happy to rub shoulders in heaven with the worst kind of sadistic bastard as long as he has sincerely apologised - as I said before - peachy!

You missed the point that the people that met Jesus were't convinced.

Interesting that you state the closest people to Jesus were his mother and the 12. I agree that would be typical of a gay man but I don't think you have evidence for it.

Yes - after his death and once the bandwagon had started rolling the brighter of his brothers jumped on board. Why not? During his lifetime? That would be no.

Most prophets were not rejected. Jesus was. God failed? Why do you think there were so many false Messiah's around at the time? Demand perhaps? So even with a people so desperate for a Messiah - he failed. You know Judaism doesn't even regard Jesus as one of the better false messiahs.

Jesus fails to convince the Jews he is the Messiah and you cite the free will argument? WTF GC? Don't you see how that appears? Surely? Jesus can't convince people he is the real deal because the have free will? We are not talking about direct evidence here - we are talking about presenting your case - and he failed. David Blaine would have done a better job.

I'd better include the next bit:
Quote:Quote:
This is supposedly the same God that appointed Abram/Abraham/Israel, Jacob, Joseph, Saul, David, Solomon etc. etc. (to name just a few). None of them failed in their primary mission, yet Jesus did?

They all failed miserably only through God's work was their missions successful. Jesus on the other hand has saved billions from eternal torment. He willingly gave up His life, and He took it back again, He lived a perfectly sinless life, haven't seen anyone else accomplish those things have you.

Oh of course - the Christian fall back of anything that works is God's work and humanity is merely the tool. Anything that fails, of course, that's man. God did it for the prophets - but not for Jesus, who failed? Man right?

Then the totally unsubstantiated claim of saving billions of sinners - no proof of course.

"haven't seen anyone else accomplish those things"

Haven't "seen" him do it either an neither have you.

All in all then - the worst response I have yet seen from a theist on these forums - and that is really saying something.

Well it doesn't take much to shoot down your unsubstantiated nonsense, I will get back to your vomit soon.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Messages In This Thread
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by catman - February 15, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 17, 2014 at 10:18 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Godschild - February 19, 2014 at 8:54 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 7019 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44962 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1750 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1280 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 38629 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus JairCrawford 271 35127 July 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5234 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4871 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 15104 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5855 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato