Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 8:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
(February 26, 2014 at 8:24 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Glad you enjoyed, TruthBTold, and for Dis' benefit, I'll post my cross-examinations of the other "eye-witnesses":

Here's my post on Mark, quoted here so as to avoid the problems of necro-posting. If you wish to reply to defend your witness, Dis, please do so below and not on the original thread:

Quote:Mark's Gospel: Anonymous Hearsay
The following is an excerpt from the New Oxford Annotated Bible (NRSV 3rd edition), p57 NT.

So the first Gospel, on which Matthew and Luke were based, is an anonymously written account of what is thought to be the story related by Peter of what he saw and heard, at least some of which Peter wasn't a personal eye-witness to but may have heard it from others.

The New Oxford Annotated Bible goes on to say (same page)

So, we have:
[snip]

A dubious source...
...telling us what he heard Peter tell him (hearsay) ...
...about a story that included parts which Peter wasn't a witness to...
...compiled in an account that was later changed...
...from the original version composed four decades after the alleged events took place.

This is what passes in apologetics for a "reliable eye-witness testimony"

And this is your prime witness. Not a good start for your case.

DeistPaladin I perceive you, more so than anyone else here that I have talked with, have the ability to present your arguments clearly and concisely. I also think you make some points that are worthy of a thoughtful response.

Is there a way that we can have a formal debate here on this forum just between you and I for all to view? If so I would like to extend a cordial invitation to you to debate on whether or not the four gospels constitute a reliable biography of Jesus of Nazareth. Think over the matter and let me know what you think.

Thank you for considering this.

(February 26, 2014 at 11:44 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: I love how Christians describe the way they came to be Christian. 'Investigative research' really? When it is, in fact, much more likely that a Christian is born into their religion. Taught by their parents and unquestioned. Just accepted that it is true, most don't even read their own bible. And you say 'investigative research'? What did that involve specifically? Critically evaluating and comparing all the religions and possible gods in the world? Or did you just stop at the god who claims to be the only god? Using the word 'research' when describing how you became a Christian, is a mockery of the word.

I did not say I became a Christian via investigative research. This is another strawman.

Messages In This Thread
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by catman - February 15, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 17, 2014 at 10:18 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 11:34 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by discipulus - February 26, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 7334 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 45333 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1807 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1313 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 39591 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus JairCrawford 271 35489 July 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5320 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4902 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 15232 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5917 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato