Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
(March 27, 2010 at 12:00 am)tackattack Wrote: 1- Love thy neighbor as thyself, thou shalt have no other God before me, remember the sabbath and keep it holy, thou shall not steal, commit adultry, lie, kill (I know you were specifically waiting for that last one)

Love thy neighbor as thyself - unless God orders you to do otherwise, like kill him and take his land because he's a non-believer.

Thou shalt have no other God before me - but respect the trinity. 3 Gods or one? You decide. The bible also mentions more than one God. How would that be considered absolute?

Remember the sabbath and keep it holy - punishable by death. You would have to have at least a 7-day calendar system to necessarily make it work. How is that absolute?

Thou shalt not steal - unless God tells you to, such as taking women as your own and Jesus instructing to take goods and livestock.

Thou shalt not commit adultery - divorce is considered a form of adultery, btw, by biblical standards. It's a sin unless God sees evil in your house and takes your wife and passes her around the neighborhood. Then it's perfectly fine.

Thou shalt not bear false witness - unless it's God doing the enticing, like he did with Ahab. It's fine for God to do it, but it's hardly absolute if the one making the rules doesn't have to follow them.

Thou shalt not kill - unless there's a woman that isn't a virgin, a blasphemer, a non-believer, a false-believer, an enemy from a different region, or any combination of anyone with a different ideology. Then it's gloves off.

Yes, very absolute.

The 10 Commandments are the most inconsistent set of rules made by anyone, ever. You didn't even list all of them, but I understand where you're coming from. You'd think that an omnipotent God would make a few more regulations that not only were self evident, but useful and detailed. There's not one thing about rape in there, child molestation, or anything else of extreme importance or relevance in a modern society.

Yes, I agree stealing and killing is bad. Is it bad just because God said so? No. It's because we as a society wouldn't have gotten anywhere if we killed everyone and stole each other's shit.

(March 27, 2010 at 12:00 am)tackattack Wrote: 2-From my personal experience religion is not serving and parasitic. It hasn't feed off/bred of people's innate fears and insecurities and instills in them a false sense of security with their own psyche. The world convinced me long before religion that people are not only undeniably flawed from birth. I'm sorry for any experiences you've had opposed to that. I don't deny they happen all the time to people. You're condemning an entire group based off some of it's fanatical radical elements. I agree that the world would be better without invasive and bigoted religion, small/closed mindedness, and hate. Can't you see you're spewing as much bigoted venom as some of the people you profess to be wrong?

I think you may have misunderstood. We are imperfect beings, a product of millions of years of development, and it's still not completely right. My gripe is that perfectly normal and healthy people are coerced by religion to believe that they have an artificial filth that they must rid themselves of in order to attain immortality and bliss.

This plays on the most basic of psychological functions and doesn't hide it very well. Modern religion can not survive on its own devices, and needs the masses of willingly conforming individuals to assimilate into their mode of social control. It often piggybacks off of scientific discovery and makes the point that no matter what, there is always a intangible, undetectable God value in every equation. It's dishonest.

It's not just my experiences, but the millions of others who are slowly coming to the realization that smoke and mirrors do not a true claim make. Just because you believe it to be true does not mean it is true. Fanaticism thrives where it is allowed to thrive. In this case, it's religious moderation that allows these practices to go unquestioned out of fear of offending those holding the belief.

There is no reason that the beliefs of a religion shouldn't be subject to the same scrutiny as the rest of the world. You think your church experiences miracles? Pray for something actually improbable to happen. I'm not talking about going to the supermarket and coming back with food. Your synchronicity can be attributed to simple confirmation bias that you assign to various coincidences, which happen much more often than you think they do - coincidences are in fact very common. The only difference with yours is that you assign a special value to them and then give that value a name, then posit that not only were the coincidences not products of random chance, they were necessarily evidence that God exists and he wants to take care of old women allergic to kiwis.

(March 27, 2010 at 12:00 am)tackattack Wrote: 3-It also brought weapons, stronger diseases, waste, pollution, overpopulation, etc. You're only looking at the good of science and none of the bad. You're also only looking at the bad of religion and not the good...I thought you were more openminded than that.

How did science bring overpopulation? I'm pretty sure we as a species aren't overpopulated, and I'm willing to bet that fucking did most of that, not science. I digress.

I understand that science has had detractors from its record, but it in no way evens it out when compared to religion.

Has religion necessarily increased our understanding of the world at all? Has science?

Is there anything useful in religion that man couldn't do by otherwise secular means? Not something self-serving either, like praying to God. I'm talking about the notion and action of charity and the like.

(March 27, 2010 at 12:00 am)tackattack Wrote: To answer your 2 questions
a-God provides for us
b-Once again you're assuming religion excludes science. While the inverse is true, Religion doesn't profess to have an answer for all knowledge of the world, just it's origins and ways to better it.

WHAT? Religion absolutely boasts an authority in social situations, political situations and moral situations. Religion is an authority to all because it answers to an ultimate authority.

Even the origins of the world, that religion provides, are far detached from anything posited by actual scholars in the field of cosmology and universal origin. Entrusting knowledge of the world to religion is intellectual stagnation. It's suicide for your brain cells, as "God did it" is a good enough answer for everything we can't readily explain.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by tavarish - March 27, 2010 at 2:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 602 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14954 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2305 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2557 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 2138 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 10655 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8364 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 11355 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 3055 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15473 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm