Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Existence of Marcion questioned?
Existence of Marcion questioned?
First of all, hi guys! It’s hard to believe it’s been over three years since I’ve come on here. Time flies!

So I just finished reading a post Rene Salm made on his blog and was wondering if anyone else here had seen it. He is now convinced that Marcion may not have existed. I’m wondering what y’all’s thoughts are.
RE: Existence of Marcion questioned?
Hello! Smile

"Who"
"What"
"I don't know"

XD
(March 2, 2022 at 1:56 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Hello! Smile

"Who"
 "What"
 "I don't know"

XD

I can’t remember what the rules are for links or else I’d link to the blog post directly, but Rene Salm, from my very limited knowledge, is most well known for writing about the existence, or in his view, non-existence of Nazareth in the first century. What I’m referring to is the most recent blog entry on his site. He calls into question the existence of Marcion as an early church figure.
-as a device for asserting proto-catholic gospel. He's supposed to have written a bunch of consequential shit, and shit that scared the pants off early mob bishops - to the point that they wrote explicitly against his ideas. He's credited with arranging the earliest proto christian gospels and doing so in a way that leaves no room for the christian religion as we know it.

....and yet not a single scrap or sentence of his own has survived. We only think he existed because he was a bishops boogeyman. Like so many characters in early christian legend , whatever we know of him is on par with knowledge of the Real Character of paul bunyon The Man.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2022 at 2:45 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: -as a device for asserting proto-catholic gospel.  He's supposed to have written a bunch of consequential shit, and shit that scared the pants off early mob bishops - to the point that they wrote explicitly against his ideas.  He's credited with arranging the earliest proto christian gospels and doing so in a way that leaves no room for the christian religion as we know it.

....and yet not a single scrap or sentence of his own has survived.  We only think he existed because he was a bishops boogeyman.  Like so many characters in early christian legend , whatever we know of him is on par with knowledge of the Real Character of paul bunyon The Man.

It’s true that none of his writings directly survive. But I find it difficult to believe that Justin Martyr would explicitly mention him as a contemporary if he didn’t exist, unless, of course, there is reason to believe said mention in First Apology could be an interpolation.
or another way of describing his concern. Marcion is only a man in that marcionites - read: all heretical christians, need a leader - if only so you can argue with a single (literary) man. Hence..... Marcion.

There are some great reasons to doubt he existed, which you can find in that blog post. Hey may actually have, though, and the good reasons to doubt it all round down to how christian operators mangled his story. Same with "jesus". Justin wrote against marcionites and marcionite christianity - not marcion the man. Justins main complaint being that the majority of christians at the time were marcionites, and thus, wrong.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2022 at 2:57 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: or another way of describing his concern.  Marcion is only a man in that marcionites - read: all heretical christians, need a leader - if only so you can argue with a single (literary) man.  Hence..... Marcion.

There are some great reasons to doubt he existed, which you can find in that blog post.  Hey may actually have, though, and the good reasons to doubt it all round down to how christian operators mangled his story.  Same with "jesus".  Justin wrote against marcionites and marcionite christianity - not marcion the man.

Huh. I could have sworn he mentioned the man. Looks like I’m gonna have to peruse through First Apology again. I very well could be misremembering that detail.
He's named in relatively few places though the whole of justins work "against marcion" is against marcionite theology.

He never met the man, we can safely say, even if we assume there was one. End of the day, whether or not there was a real boy boils down to a ridiculous russian doll situation, where we're taking the word of a certainly fictional person that a legendary man exists and all of this happens before anyone writes a screed against his supposed theology. Tellingly, the timelines don't match up. We're hearing the story of a cultural grievance.
As always, Wikipedia has an amazing article:

Wikipedia -- Marcion of Sinope
A contemporary example of what may have happened with marcion and marcionites - is that he was his own times antifa, or crt. Everyone of a particular bent suddenly starts coming down against it, even though no one is describing any actual thing in mere reality.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2893 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheism vs. God's Existence sk123 412 56177 May 27, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  There is no argument for the existence of "God" Foxaèr 38 7448 March 15, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3608 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  20 Arguments for God's existence? Foxaèr 17 4132 May 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Telephones Prove God's Existence Mudhammam 9 4147 February 6, 2014 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Interesting Essay on Marcion Minimalist 0 1218 January 7, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Debating the existence of Jesus CleanShavenJesus 52 24870 June 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Science explains the existence of God. Greatest I am 1 1527 August 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: 5thHorseman
  Atheists: Can you disprove the resurrection or Jesus' existence? nicholas5000 142 48780 December 19, 2011 at 9:30 am
Last Post: ThomM