Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 2:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave
RE: The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave
(March 31, 2014 at 10:01 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: They testified of Him in by far the most popular book ever written.

When you make an argument that contains a fallacy like argument ad populum, it doesn't mean your conclusion is wrong, but it does mean that if you're right, it doesn't have anything to do with the argument you made.

Since it's been pointed out to you that it's a fallacy to think that something's popularity makes it more likely to be true, you're aware of this particular fallacy and that you're communicating with an audience that notices and cares if your arguments contain fallacies.

To continue to use it in the face of that information, it's reasonable to infer that you actually don't care one whit about reaching any of us.

(March 31, 2014 at 10:04 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: I am doing as the Lord is directing me. He has placed a love in my heart for atheists.

It's nice that you feel that way, and I don't say it to make fun. The one thing Christians often claim that they should be able to demonstrate is that they're better people for having a relationship with Jesus. Arguably the only original moral teaching of Jesus was to love your enemies.

Just remember that you can't sincerely say you love someone if you're unwilling to try to understand them.

And maybe ask Jesus to place a more convincing approach in your brain to go along with the love in your heart.

(March 31, 2014 at 10:12 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 10:11 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Guard your buttholes. GUARD YOUR BUTTHOLES!

I'm happily married.

Glad to see you're able to keep your humor in the face of derision.

(March 31, 2014 at 10:12 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 10:52 am)Alex K Wrote: There is a nice episode or two of the "Reasonable Doubts" podcast explaining why all the alleged early christian martyrdom is not quite what it's usually made out to be.

Where they there?

I think the folly of raising an objection that can apply equally to you has been pointed out more than once. Why do you keep doing it?

(April 1, 2014 at 10:36 am)Revelation777 Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 10:32 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I love the atheists. I will show this love by acting like an ignorant, condescending douche on their forums!

Not my intentions at all. Sorry you feel that way.

For what it's worth, I believe that you don't intend to come off as condescending and that you're coming from a place of sincerity. We get a lot of trolls in these parts, and the benefit of the doubt can be hard to come by.

(April 2, 2014 at 8:50 am)Revelation777 Wrote: If I, the messenger is flawed, I apologize, I'm a work in progress. But the message is one of truth, hope, and love.

You're the only evidence for your message available. In this case, the messenger IS the message. You convey your message, especially if it's about truth, hope, and love; with your comportment as well as your words.

And you're making an effort in that regard, which is more than I can say for some messengers we've gotten around here.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave - by Mister Agenda - April 2, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Bet "Jesus" Is Real Proud of These Shits Minimalist 34 6380 December 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Which Jesus is real? Foxaèr 40 8511 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3165 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  lies, broken promises, racism : the real Jesus jenny1972 6 1987 November 4, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 113532 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7692 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7374 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Mass grave discovered in an abandoned Catholic children's home. Esquilax 46 8935 June 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Vox
  Jesus Would Role Over In His Grave Cinjin 7 2388 April 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus Confused Ape 487 227783 May 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist