Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2026, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Why theists think their irrational/fallacious beliefs are valid
#4
RE: Why theists think their irrational/fallacious beliefs are valid
(April 30, 2014 at 8:46 am)Kitanetos Wrote: The focus was not on cognitive dissonance so much as peer validation. The cognitive dissonance comment was more an aside of an already apparent truth.

I understand your view on peer validation and I can see how that might be part of the overall picture but I can't quite see what concepts or thoughts you see as conflicting for theists in particular.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Why theists think their irrational/fallacious beliefs are valid - by ManMachine - April 30, 2014 at 9:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Way of practicing Old Beliefs Leonardo17 38 14919 February 26, 2025 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, provide your arguments for God. Disagreeable 41 11524 August 9, 2024 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 33356 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists: What is your stance on evolution? Agnostic1 118 32348 March 27, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 10488 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 4482 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 16972 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 41696 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: awty
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 10934 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
Last Post: awty
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 62475 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: awty



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)