Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 10:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
(May 13, 2014 at 8:38 pm)Lek Wrote: First of all, I told you he does communicate with me. Why do you say it's the most useless form of communication ever devised? He managed to communicate it to approximately 1/3 of the world's population today. You can't hear him if you keep your brain closed though.
If the best that god can do is a 33% success rate, then he's doing it wrong.

Second, I would venture that it's much, much lower than that, seeing as how so many Christian denominations exist specifically because they differ on how to interpret god's message. And many of them are quick to point out that most "self-professed" Christians are no such thing. If you are going to point to the large number of Christians and any sort of support for a point you are making, I hope you aren't going to play the "No True Christian" card any other time, as that would be quite hypocritical.

(May 13, 2014 at 9:22 pm)Godschild Wrote: No it doesn't, not believing is rejecting period and that rejection comes through self interest, self interest is the first sin committed. Disobeying God whether you recognize Him or not is sin through self interest. To obey is to sacrifice what one desires for doing God's will. It's God's desire that everyone be saved and those who are not save is because they make a decision that they desire, that desire is out side God's desire.
But we can see desires as being on different levels. Immediate and temporary (a bowl of ice cream) and long term (building a retirement nest egg). To decide not to serve god if you know he exists is to reject the immediate desires that god condemns (which have a potential for a bit of enjoyment at the cost of other problems later) in favor of the long term goal of salvation (which has as its prize the greatest reward possible). In that sense, I can also admit that this would count as a sacrifice.

When I believed in god I walked the straight and narrow with very little effort because the idea of seeing the world returned to the glory that god had intended was so much better than seeing the current world continue that it wasn't a difficult choice. But it was definitely driven by self-interest. Having come to the conclusion that god wasn't there and this world was all I would have, self-interest dictated that it was not worth the time and effort to chase after something that was not there.
Quote:Salvation is a sacrifice, as Paul said, one must die to self and receive Christ as the Lord of their life, one switches Lords, from self to Christ. Could it be those who walked away from Christianity were not interested in a new Lord but keep the old one.
I accept your point about salvation requiring sacrifice (see above). I think it's a very small price to pay for what is offered, but I think it's fair to call it a sacrifice.
Quote:Logic what does logical proof have to do with the spiritual, the spiritual abounds in logic just not the logical proof you demand, and I find it very illogical to demand proof from God.
The Bible makes it pretty clear that god was never shy about interacting with people and proving himself through clear and unambiguous action. Sometimes it was by talking directly to people, or sending a heavenly messenger. Sometimes it was something as spectacular as parting the waters of a sea. Other times it was more sublime yet still impressive, such as walking on the surface of the sea. The Bible tells us that god acted in ways that people could easily witness and confirm with one another. It also tells us that in a future time he will do it again, and there will be no doubt that it's him.

But in the meantime he will disappear and make no impression at all, except on an individual level and in ways that can only be interpreted by the individual in question. He is so subtle in this that many people apparently miss the clues entirely, and those that do might misinterpret them. And that's not counting demons appearing as 'angels of light' to mislead people. To me it lacks consistency, and the decades I spent as a believer do nothing to change that. That I was as sincere as I was for as long as I was and literally saw nothing of god makes a very deep impression on me as a thinking person.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Messages In This Thread
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Brakeman - April 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - April 18, 2014 at 9:52 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Tonus - April 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 10, 2014 at 11:47 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Tonus - May 14, 2014 at 5:48 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 17, 2014 at 11:35 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Ksa - May 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 10, 2014 at 12:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 11:51 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 12:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 11:46 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 20, 2014 at 12:27 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 28, 2014 at 11:50 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 28, 2014 at 11:09 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 10:19 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 10:57 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 11:19 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 8, 2014 at 11:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 9, 2014 at 10:36 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 2:06 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 2:11 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 55685 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 97517 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 12638 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7864 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  you have to have faith..and there's a purpose k2490 16 6334 June 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  A club exists at my school for the purpose of evangelizing students Marnie 84 36425 May 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: catfish
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3359 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6563 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  The meaning of "woman" in Galations 4:4 Barre 7 3472 December 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19 Barre 8 2970 December 10, 2011 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Barre