Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Meaning of Pain & Suffering?
The Meaning of Pain & Suffering?
Just in time for the Lenten season!

Does anyone here feel there is any value to Pain & Suffering?

Excepting: "alerts" to abnormal bodily function, and the growing pains of children and physical strength endurance.

What got me started on this was two things: A situation happened with a close friend who died unexpectently, and in Hospice care. Also in one of the articles about Mother Teresa.... one of my atheist friends here was to kindly point out. It dealt with the writer being torn about the treatment, or in this case non-treatment of people suffering that were close to death!

I just want to get a synopsis from [those interested] in this subject before I weigh in on my experiences with the issues concerning suffering from a: spiritual, religious, physical and personal pov.

Thanks ahead of time for your serious, thoughtful and intelligent opinions. Ron
Quis ut Deus?
RE: The Meaning of Pain & Suffering?
(March 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm)ronedee Wrote: Does anyone here feel there is any value to Pain & Suffering?

I know Tiberious, does I've seen the pictures!

On a more serious note pain has a useful function up to a point, telling you to keep off that broken leg or to pull the hand away from the flame.
People who don;t feel pain tend to live short lives.

Quote:What got me started on this was two things: A situation happened with a close friend who died unexpectently, and in Hospice care. Also in one of the articles about Mother Teresa.... one of my atheist friends here was to kindly point out. It dealt with the writer being torn about the treatment, or in this case non-treatment of people suffering that were close to death!

I just want to get a synopsis from [those interested] in this subject before I weigh in on my experiences with the issues concerning suffering from a: spiritual, religious, physical and personal pov.

You mean does suffering have a spiritual purpose in the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" kind of vein.

Or do you mean the kind of suffering that means you would latch onto any hope no matter how far fetched "just in case".

I have suffered prolonged pain and I was just glad when it ended.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Pain and suffering only have value as negative learning aides. Pain and suffering are physical and emotional stimuli that should trigger a response to avoid the cause. Coping is required when the cause is unavoidable.
(March 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm)ronedee Wrote: Does anyone here feel there is any value to Pain & Suffering?

Yes, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to seek it out. In some banal sense we all grow through failure and through agonies endured. But I'm thinking more of the pain of failure to do or be that which you strive for. Such pain forces you to undergo reconciliation between self image and reality.

Physical pain on the other hand is always regrettable and better to alleviate or ameliorate so far as possible. Aside from the feedback provided there is no value in physical pain that I am aware of and none that I have endured which I can say I'm better off for today.
People who have gone through pain and suffering are ten times more interesting than people who haven't.
I don't understand people who are obsessed with celebrities who have it easy just because they are famous, I'd rather hear stories from SAS survival experts who were stuck in the desert then got tortured or someone who was imprisoned in Thailand than know about what some celebrity bought at a shop today.
I think most people understand the value of going through pain or at least boredom to achieve something, I go to the gym that is the perfect example of going through pain to achieve something.
Also pain is a good reminder of how lucky I am too, like when i go through hunger pains i think well at least I'm not starving to death, and when i had my abnormally growing wisdom tooth which was probably the most painful thing I've experienced that made me feel SO lucky that i live in a world with painkillers and good dental treatment.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

EXCELLENT POSTS! Please keep it up!
Quis ut Deus?

I suppose a case can be made for their being beneficial. Physical pain can help us to determine that we are injured and force us to seek medical attention. Other types of pain and suffering (emotional, mental, psychological) may be ways of coping with trauma that we might not otherwise be able to process all at once. Or it may be a teacher for future reference (ie, the emotional pain that results from not taking action when we should have; perhaps to end a bad relationship, for example).

By the same token, pain and suffering can have no intrinsic value. A person who suffers for years at the hands of a sadistic caretaker may turn the experience into something valuable (sharing the experiences in order to help others cope or resolve similar circumstances) but I wouldn't say that this makes the suffering valuable. It shows the value in human resilience, perhaps.

And that is also aside from pain or suffering that ends in death. The sufferer never sees a valuable consequence of their experience, even if one happens to result.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm)ronedee Wrote: Just in time for the Lenten season!

Only if it's yours.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Excepting: "alerts" to abnormal bodily function, and the growing pains of children and physical strength endurance.

What got me started on this was two things: A situation happened with a close friend who died unexpectently, and in Hospice care. Also in one of the articles about Mother Teresa.... one of my atheist friends here was to kindly point out. It dealt with the writer being torn about the treatment, or in this case non-treatment of people suffering that were close to death!

I had a very close and dear relative die of a inoperal and always lethal brain tumor of a type called "Glioblastoma multiforme".
It slowly made him halucinate, suffer unbareable pain, shut off his bodyfunctions and made him a pittyfull sight no longer resembling what he was before.

He went through this for 8 months.

Yet from the first day of the diagnose it was clear that he would die.

No one deserves going through this.
And those who say differently are assholes.
(March 14, 2013 at 9:56 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Only if it's yours.

Oh really.....why? What is it that I have done that would make you feel that way about me?

(March 14, 2013 at 10:00 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: I had a very close and dear relative die of a inoperal and always lethal brain tumor of a type called "Glioblastoma multiforme".
It slowly made him halucinate, suffer unbareable pain, shut off his bodyfunctions and made him a pittyfull sight no longer resembling what he was before.

He went through this for 8 months.

Yet from the first day of the diagnose it was clear that he would die.

No one deserves going through this.
And those who say differently are assholes.
I'm curious....Why did he go through it for 8 months?

Did he make any decisions regarding his care? Or was someone else making those decisions?
Quis ut Deus?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9343 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does Jesus' "suffering" matter? luka 99 20435 July 21, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
Photo Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. Brakeman 543 72339 June 10, 2014 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  Why God allows suffering k2490 10 2240 October 22, 2013 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Dolphins are the best
  The meaning of "woman" in Galations 4:4 Barre 7 3293 December 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19 Barre 8 2661 December 10, 2011 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Barre
  Suffering Captain Scarlet 60 15255 August 21, 2010 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: tackattack