Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:48 am

Poll: Is the meaning of "brother" (adelphos) literal or figurative?
This poll is closed.
Literal
50.00%
2 50.00%
Figurative
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19
Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19
Is the meaning of adelphos literal or metaphorical?

1:19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord’s brother.
RE: Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19
(December 5, 2011 at 6:30 am)Barre Wrote: Is the meaning of adelphos literal or metaphorical?

Interesting question, and I presume that this comes out of investigating the "Jesus Myth" hypothesis which has become so popular on the internet. The best way to pursue a reasoned answer to this question, it seems to me, is to begin with the question "Why does the Paul call James the "Lord's brother" when he does not speak of any other named person (e.g. Peter in the previous verse) in this way?" Also 1 Corinthians 9:5 is important to consider, where the writer uses the phrase "the Lord's brothers".
(December 5, 2011 at 7:17 am)Matthaῖos Wrote:
(December 5, 2011 at 6:30 am)Barre Wrote: Is the meaning of adelphos literal or metaphorical?

Interesting question, and I presume that this comes out of investigating the "Jesus Myth" hypothesis which has become so popular on the internet. The best way to pursue a reasoned answer to this question, it seems to me, is to begin with the question "Why does the Paul call James the "Lord's brother" when he does not speak of any other named person (e.g. Peter in the previous verse) in this way?" Also 1 Corinthians 9:5 is important to consider, where the writer uses the phrase "the Lord's brothers".

Rather than redirecting, I am interested in how you would answer this poll question regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19--
literal or figurative?
(December 7, 2011 at 8:43 pm)Barre Wrote:
(December 5, 2011 at 7:17 am)Matthaῖos Wrote:

Rather than redirecting, I am interested in how you would answer this poll question regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19--
literal or figurative?
I think I am the only voter so far! Following the line of reasoning in my previous post, I see no way to make sense of Paul's language within its context unless "Lord's brother(s)" refers to Jesus' brother(s). Other references throughout the New Testament (and also Josephus) confirm that Jesus had a brother called James; the obvious reason for that is that he did, and it is this James that Paul is referring to.
You need an option that says "bullshit myth".

I don't even think Jebus existed, therefore, I don't think "figurative" or "literal" are valid answers at all.

Quote:"Why does the Paul call James the "Lord's brother"

My problem here is that there is no more evidence for "Paul" than there is for Jesus.

Artemis was considered the twin sister of Apollo. Does the fact that someone wrote down this myth make it real?
(December 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm)aleialoura Wrote: You need an option that says "bullshit myth".

I don't even think Jebus existed, therefore, I don't think "figurative" or "literal" are valid answers at all.

My question is simply to define a word in this context. The question which are trying to evade is valid.
But do you think the context needs to be examined or do you simply accept it at face value?
(December 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:"Why does the Paul call James the "Lord's brother"

My problem here is that there is no more evidence for "Paul" than there is for Jesus.

Artemis was considered the twin sister of Apollo. Does the fact that someone wrote down this myth make it real?

I don't understand your "problem." Would you please clarify it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2011 post from Facebook regarding 2012 "rapture" Foxaèr 1 567 May 23, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2766 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 35954 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Regarding Jesus Dystopia 70 8915 July 9, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Photo Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. Brakeman 543 72351 June 10, 2014 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3160 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Serious Query Regarding Jesus Orion3T 52 19975 April 1, 2012 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: zip_ster
  The meaning of "woman" in Galations 4:4 Barre 7 3293 December 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused