Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 2:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"?
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer...
Chas Wrote:You are making unsubstantiated claims when you say what consciousness is not. You don't know this. Is this your statement of faith?
No. It's a definition. When I open my eyes in the morning, I become aware of colors, shapes, etc. as qualia-- the "what it's like." Whether the source of those experiences is a physical universe, the Matrix, or the Mind of God is irrelevant to that definition. Conflating the word for experience with ideas about the source of the experience is unnecessary.

Quote:I call bullshit. I have not defined 'evidence' to fit into any theory; without evidence, you've got squat.
Maybe you should define what evidence means to you. What nature of evidence would you consider relevant to the OP, or to the past few posts?

Quote:You are declaring things out of bounds for science. Is this your faith, again?
I haven't made any statements of faith, so you are wrong to use the word "again."

Science can mean a lot of things, but I assume we are all in this thread talking about science as it is practiced now: physical observation, hypothesis, and experimentation or other methods of confirming the hypothesis. And-- most importantly-- the ability for others to independently reproduce the observation and confirmation.

Some things are not observable by others. For example, my qualia are real and easily identified-- by me. You, however, cannot ever have access to my "what it's like to drink cocoa" sensations. At best, you can correlate someone's verbal descriptions with physical markers, like blood flow or brain wave measurements. Qualia themselves are therefore outside the sphere of science, because they cannot be observed, directly interacted with, or even confirmed to exist. Correlations between reported qualia and the brain, on the other hand, are within the sphere of science, because verbal descriptions are sharable, as are brain scans. The problem is that people are not careful in distinguishing between the two.

(May 18, 2014 at 2:57 pm)Cato Wrote: Give me an example of a non-physical structure which actually experiences qualia, rather than just seeming to. In fact, you can't demonstrate a non-physical structure that just seems to.
Neither you nor I can give any example of ANY entity --physical or otherwise-- which actually experiences qualia, rather than just seeming to. The belief that qualia exists outside of my experience cannot be founded in evidence. It can only be rooted in a philosophical assumption.

Quote:Just one example that supports my position is that my grandfather's experience of the taste of meatloaf disappeared when his brain died, unless you are going to make the argument that his experience is disembodied and floating around in the proverbial ether.
How do you know your grandfather wasn't a philosophical zombie? You know what words came out of his mouth, the look in his eyes, the way his limbs moved; you might have had access to fMRI or other brain scans. His qualia, if he actually had any, are for you only a matter of philosophical assumption.

Now, let's consider the OP proposition. How would you know whether an atom, or a star, or the galaxy has some kind of awareness-- its own kind of qualia? You can't-- because you never had access to qualia in the first place. An atom won't produce words about meatloaf or have shaky hands, or show any of the physical markers that make you feel justified in making your philosophical assumption about people's minds.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer... - by bennyboy - May 18, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2682 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2055 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  are aesthetics universal? zainab 15 1303 March 2, 2019 at 7:24 am
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 5035 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3647 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Universal Moral Code BlindedWantsToSee 57 7624 November 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: BlindedWantsToSee
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 57297 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14693 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5766 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4050 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv