Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 10:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"?
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer...
(May 20, 2014 at 11:32 am)Chas Wrote:
(May 20, 2014 at 11:12 am)ChadWooters Wrote: "I agree that by the standards of any other area of science, psi - that is ESP, remote viewing, all those things - is proven. That begs the question, do we need higher standards of evidence when we study the paranormal?" Dr. Richard Wiseman, noted skeptic.

In other words, no matter how solid the proof, he will demand more because it challenges his belief about how the world should work. It just goes to show, Chas, that your commitment to science is just an argument of convenience. You're antiscience when it suits you.

You did not source your quote. You're not very good at this, are you.

He follows that statement, according to this blog, with:

Quote:According to this dailymail article, skeptic Richard Wiseman argues:
"I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven,
but begs the question: do we need higher standards of evidence when we study the paranormal? I think we do.

If I said that there is a red car outside my house, you would probably believe me.

But if I said that a UFO had just landed, you'd probably want a lot more evidence.

Because remote viewing is such an outlandish claim that will revolutionise the world,
we need overwhelming evidence before we draw any conclusions. Right now we don't have that evidence."

So, his opinion is not based on evidence. He has no proof, he cites no proof. THAT IS NOT SCIENCE.

His opinion is based on studies like those I mentioned earlier. The full quote only reinforces mery statement. After psi researchese have found positive results and satisfied the strict protocols required by skeptics, the skeptics like Wiseman raise the bar after the fact. Science is supposed to be objective. When you insert a very subjective judgment into the process, like calling some things ordinary and others extraordinary, then you lose all credibility as a neutral experimenter. It injects bias.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer... - by Neo-Scholastic - May 20, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2691 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2072 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  are aesthetics universal? zainab 15 1306 March 2, 2019 at 7:24 am
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 5043 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3665 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Universal Moral Code BlindedWantsToSee 57 7830 November 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: BlindedWantsToSee
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 57391 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14761 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5780 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4060 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv