Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"?
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer...
(May 22, 2014 at 4:47 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(May 22, 2014 at 1:59 pm)Chas Wrote: Then I most certainly have a problem with the statement you made:
"However, the ability to receive and process photons is intrinsic to all matter-- on some level."

You are saying that all matter has brains?
I agree my original statement wasn't very well coined, so let me revise it. It may be that every reception of a photon causes a state change in the receiving matter, and that it is this minimal exchange of information (i.e. from the emitter) that represents the most fundamental "quantum" of qualia-- a little nano-spark of consciousness. And that this particle now "behaves" differently as a result of the information it has received, causing that original reception to cascade through physical causality. So on that level, the process is whatever the mechanism is that allows things to receive photons, have their state changed, and through their modified behavior affect the causal chain.

I'm not too attached to that specific idea-- my point is that EVEN IF we agree mind supervenes somewhere in the brain, it's not necessarily only, and specifically, in the brain as a whole entity that qualia might be spawned. Qualia might be intrinsic to all exchanges of information, or only to certain kinds of matter which interact with certain kinds of energy, or to any mechanism which collects data over time and causes it to be related to new data, or to only the whole brain, or only to me personally. Most importantly, note that all these are purely physicalist models.

OK, fine. I will restate that there is absolutely no evidence for anything but mind being dependent on anything but brain.

And no evidence that qualia are in any way not simply an aspect of consciousness.

I am not claiming that external factors might not be at play, that dualism is not true, or that there isn't some non-chemical property of particles that makes consciousness possible.
I only point out that there is no evidence for any of those things. The only evidence is that consciousness is brain-based.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer... - by Chas - May 24, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2672 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2054 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  are aesthetics universal? zainab 15 1302 March 2, 2019 at 7:24 am
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 5010 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3642 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Universal Moral Code BlindedWantsToSee 57 7576 November 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: BlindedWantsToSee
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 57223 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14651 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5721 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4039 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv