Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"?
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer...
(June 1, 2014 at 2:19 am)bennyboy Wrote: That's a lot of reading. Maybe you can cut to the part where you show what the scientific criteria are for establishing whether a physical structure experiences qualia or not. OR maybe you can show me the current scientific explanation of how electrochemical interactions manifest as subjective experience.
Quote:No one yet has explanations for those, so why do you demand that I do?
I've accused you (and in this capacity I think you represent all physical monists) several times of vaguely waving to the brain and claiming qualia are "in there somewhere," and that's still the case.

You continue to misunderstand what I've said and you are going in circles.
No, qualia aren't in the brain, they are in the mind. It is minds that experiences, brains are the substrate.

Quote:However, in order to know whether consciousness can generalize to the universe as a whole, we need to know what SPECIFICALLY it is about the brain that allows otherwise unconscious matter to become conscious. We need to know that the universe, or at least massive parts of the universe, do not meet those SPECIFIC requirements for the existence of qualia.

We are working on it. Stop acting like a frickin' three year-old and demanding answers this minute.

Quote:As for the lack of evidence-- I'd say this can be categorized as a logical fallacy. An appeal to a lack of evidence, where it is our own limitations which prevent us from collecting evidence, is a poor indicator of truth of a proposition.

And once again you are objecting to something I didn't frickin' say.
I have neither claimed that my view is true nor that yours is false.
I have stated that the evidence we have supports that mind is dependent on brain and only brain.

Quote:If I point to the fact that we only know there's life on Earth, because there's no evidence of life anywhere else, would this be good support for the idea that there is only life on Earth? Nope.

And that is nothing like what I said.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer... - by Chas - June 1, 2014 at 8:49 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2691 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2062 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  are aesthetics universal? zainab 15 1306 March 2, 2019 at 7:24 am
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 5043 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3662 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Universal Moral Code BlindedWantsToSee 57 7679 November 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: BlindedWantsToSee
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 57386 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14760 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5780 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4060 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv