Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 3:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"?
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer...
(June 2, 2014 at 11:43 pm)Chas Wrote: I'm sorry you value evidence so little.
Who says I don't value evidence? I just don't agree that the evidence says what you think it says. The evidence shows that some physical systems have qualia associated with them, and that the nature of the qualia is determined by the structure or function of the systems. This is not the same as establishing the existence, vs. the complete non-existence, of maximally simple (i.e. atomic) qualia.

It does not demonstrate that all systems of similar complexity have associated qualia-- that is a non sequitur. Nor does it demonstrate upon which stratum the most elemental essence of mind supervenes-- we have no experimental ability to isolate substrata and know whether there is some primitive qualia associated with them or not. Given any gross system upon which mind supervenes, how would you establish that the mind is not rather supervenient on that systems components, rather than on the function of the system as a whole?

Quote:What is absurd is considering one or two neurons to be sufficiently complex to host 'awareness'.
Why is it absurd? Some neurons respond to multiple inputs, and have multiple outputs. They also grow new dendrites in response to chemical trails in their environment-- something I would say could be categorized as a behavior. Are you suggesting or outright saying that single-celled organisms are purely mechanical, and have no qualia associated with them at all? How could you know this, and on what basis could you assume it?

Quote:It appears there is a threshold and a scale. That sort of thing is quite common in nature.
This is a possibility to be sure. But is there a non-arbitrary threshold or position on a scale at which mind ultimately collapses into oblivion, or is it an arbitrary semantic issue: "At this point, we deem the mental activity sufficiently minor to say that it should not be recognized as mental activity at all." I think you're going to have a very hard time showing that your complexity idea isn't a product of anthropomorphic assumption rather than solid evidence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Univer... - by bennyboy - June 3, 2014 at 12:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2691 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2061 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  are aesthetics universal? zainab 15 1306 March 2, 2019 at 7:24 am
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 5043 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3662 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Universal Moral Code BlindedWantsToSee 57 7679 November 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: BlindedWantsToSee
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 57386 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14758 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5780 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4060 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv