Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 12:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Questions For Believers (A work in progress.)
RE: 3 Questions For Believers (A work in progress.)
(June 29, 2014 at 8:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Now, with the analogy about power sources - what does your new understanding have to say about any of those experiences you had in the past? Nothing. You now know that there are electric cars, but that doesn't mean that you saw one as a kid, and it certainly doesn't even increase the possibility of any of those cars having been electric cars. If you walked through the countryside circa 1920 - considering just how many of those cars might be electric- I;d call you a loon..and I;d be right. I don't think you would though, because again you are making a special pleading argument. I doubt that a special pleading argument can convince you of anything.

I might have seen an electric car in the past before I knew there were electric cars and thought it was gasoline powered. Later when I learned there were electric cars, I might have thought "that car was really quiet and there was no exhaust. It must have been an electric car." I made my latest decision based on new found information.

(June 29, 2014 at 8:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote: In this response Itrrational you made allusions between faith and science. I have to point out that "taking a leap of faith" is in no way interchangeable with "starting with a fact"

This invalidates the rest of that response by itself. I understand that you may feel that the two are somehow similar, I would love to hear about why you think that - but again, right from the outset, I can't call that anything but dead wrong from the ground floor to the penthouse.

We're not on common ground here because we're defining things differently. To me God is a fact and to you he's not. I guess the only way we could arrive at a conclusion that we both accept is for you to experience God or for me to drop my belief in him.

(June 29, 2014 at 8:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Here, let me try:

There is no god, I don't have to prove it or give any evidence, because in this special case none of the normal rules apply. I know this because I started believing it was true, and then realized that it was true, ad infinitum.

Do you concede?

If I thought you were sincere in what you believed, though it wasn't a proven fact, and I saw that your life was effected in a good way by that belief, I might consider investigating the validity of what you are saying. Another thing I wanted to throw in, but I forgot where I wanted to put it - have you ever made a decision based on an unproven fact, but you acted on that decision because you felt sure that it was true?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 3 Questions For Believers (A work in progress.) - by Lek - June 29, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 1394 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sincere and peaceful believers are tough people purplepurpose 4 1087 September 27, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 15538 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3542 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5349 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Hardcore believers act like aliens from different planet purplepurpose 21 5111 December 15, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1246 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 13382 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 254872 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  how to cope in the work world? Rextos 12 2591 December 14, 2015 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants