Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believers, put yourself in my place.
Believers, put yourself in my place.
Some of you will recoil in horror, but some of you will be able to imagine that you are looking at your religion from the outside. If you can do that I ask you to consider what your religion would look like without the assumption of divinity. For example, the Greek gods. Few, if any, people still worship the Olympian gods, so it's "safe" to discuss them and their rather naughty habits. You would, however, get a few million people seriously upset if you question Mary's virginity. 

For those of you who can make the leap, please keep in mind that your gods are equivalent to the Olympians in my mind. I'm not out to destroy your belief or turn your churches into brothels (even if it would be great idea), I just don't believe your god or gods are any more special than the panoply of discarded gods that came before and after yours. 

/probablewasteoftime
RE: Believers, put yourself in my place.
I like what you're doing here but you need to take this further to drive the point home. Go deeper into the rabbit hole.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

(November 17, 2016 at 4:13 pm)operator Wrote: I like what you're doing here but you need to take this further to drive the point home. Go deeper into the rabbit hole.

It's just the Outsider's Test of Religion, really, presented as a personal outlook.
Isn't it funny how we can call the Greek gods mythology, but people get offended if you say the same thing about Christian mythology?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 17, 2016 at 4:43 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Isn't it funny how we can call the Greek gods mythology, but people get offended if you say the same thing about Christian mythology?

"My god is real, your god is a myth." Exclusionary paradigm necessary for monotheism.
I'm always amazed how quickly the religious dismiss other religions, or other woo notions that don't fit their belief patterns. They generally use fairly reasonable methods to do so, but can't/won't apply these methods to their own beliefs.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 18, 2016 at 5:48 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm always amazed how quickly the religious dismiss other religions, or other woo notions that don't fit their belief patterns. They generally use fairly reasonable methods to do so, but can't/won't apply these methods to their own beliefs.

Take a large sheet of paper. Punch a dozen or so very small holes in it, in very precise locations. Put everything humanity has ever learned under the paper. The holes represent the portion of that knowledge that the fundies accept.
There are people who like anarchy, others like monarchy and so on. Different flavours. People bet on the one they like. I for example, don't understand Buddhism with its meditation, nirvana, "no self" mind set(no attachment), it looks f boring to me.
(November 18, 2016 at 7:36 am)purplepurpose Wrote: There are people who like anarchy, others like monarchy and so on. Different flavours. People bet on the one they like. I for example, don't understand Buddhism with its meditation, nirvana, "no self" mind set(no attachment), it looks f boring to me.

And?
(November 18, 2016 at 5:48 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm always amazed how quickly the religious dismiss other religions, or other woo notions that don't fit their belief patterns. They generally use fairly reasonable methods to do so, but can't/won't apply these methods to their own beliefs.

I would say much the same about atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sincere and peaceful believers are tough people purplepurpose 4 1045 September 27, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5368 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4325 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hardcore believers act like aliens from different planet purplepurpose 21 4927 December 15, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1225 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2470 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Religion Have A Place in the World? InsomniacMike486 23 5660 July 31, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A World Made For Believers, Obviously By The Divine LivingNumbers6.626 17 3478 April 26, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Razzle
  3 Questions For Believers (A work in progress.) topher 187 29910 April 20, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Bashed by believers Joods 47 9326 April 6, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris