Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 10:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving the Bible is false in few words.
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words.
(May 13, 2010 at 6:35 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: There you go introducing the choice back into the equation. Like this has any bearing on the positive entity. You have no thing, then some thing. This 'thing' has no choice but to be a 'thing'. Does that preclude this thing from being a thing? Apparently so in your reasoning.

What you're saying about God is what theologians already agree upon. God has no choice in being good - that is God. God is good. You're supporting the theological argument.

(May 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm)Caecilian Wrote: Having thought this over a bit, I think that I'd go even further. It seems to me that your version of god must always follow the single most moral course of action, which clearly entails that he has no choice about anything. In other words: god isn't just an ethical automaton, he's an automaton- period. God does not have free will.
Absolutely. I agree.
Bolded added

So what are you saying here? Perhaps this:

God is (is ontologically identical with) goodness.

Which makes god a concept rather than an entity. Another interpretation would be that god is some sort of platonic essence of goodness, but really I hope that you're not saying that. Platonic essences are, to put it mildly, philosophically dubious.

Either way, god gets relegated to being a sort of abstractum. And abstracta don't have causal powers, can't create universes, and don't enter into personal relationships with people.

Beyond that, I honestly can't think of anything that you might mean by 'god'. You clearly want to identify him as some sort of entity rather than as an abstractum, but equally clearly you're not willing to accept the entailments of god being an entity. It all sounds incoherent to me.

Jumping to the other important part of your post:

(May 13, 2010 at 6:35 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(May 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm)Caecilian Wrote: The problem with this is that if the influence of something is impossible to detect, even in theory, that its hard to see how it could possibly count as a cause. Causes are, after all, linked to their effects by chains of cause/effect. If there is no possibility of discerning the chain, then there is no way of ascribing causation.

So in addition to being an automaton, god has no causal powers at all. Great. Thats one omnipotent deity that we have here. Big Grin
Everything and nothing is complete evidence of Gods direct action or inaction. Depending how you look at it, which is kinda the point.

So you accept that the influence of god cannot be detected, even in theory. It therefore follows that:
1. Anything that could be explained with reference to god, could be explained at least as well without reference to god. Thus 'god' has zero explanatory value.
2. 'Miracles' either didn't happen, or have a naturalistic explanation.
3. Following on from 2, the bible becomes a collection of myths.

And what is true of god is also presumably true of other putative immaterial entities, such as angels and souls. So perhaps you'd like to agree or disagree with the following:

Quote:All facts, including all phenomenal facts, are metaphysically necessitated by the microphysical facts. If P is a statement that reports all the microphysical facts and Q is a statement that reports all phenomenal facts...then:
(Entailment Thesis) P -> Q is metaphysically necessary.

Think carefully, fr0d0. The quote above is a widely accepted formulation of materialist monism.

Do you want to join the Dark Side, fr0d0? Devil
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by Caecilian - May 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - May 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - June 4, 2010 at 12:12 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - June 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 3004 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 45364 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2406 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The implications of Obama's words at the Charleston shooting memorial. Duty 21 2070 April 13, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5768 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1851 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christian trigger words Nihilist Virus 173 22266 April 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8932 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2615 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 24227 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician