Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 12:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving the Bible is false in few words.
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words.
(May 14, 2010 at 7:03 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(May 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm)Caecilian Wrote: It therefore follows that:
1. Anything that could be explained with reference to god, could be explained at least as well without reference to god. Thus 'god' has zero explanatory value.
2. 'Miracles' either didn't happen, or have a naturalistic explanation.
3. Following on from 2, the bible becomes a collection of myths.
No

1. God has no business with explanatory values, ever.
2. or did happen <-- how did you eliminate this option?
3. it is necessarily beholden to the observer to accept or deny the claim. Which as I keep saying, is the whole point. It is also crucial that there's no sway on that choice empirically.
In reply to your replies to my questions:
1. We seem to have an agreement here. 'God' as a concept doesn't have any explanatory value. I'm happy to accept your point that 'god' shouldn't have any explanatory value. After all, I'm an atheist, so what 'god' should or shouldn't do isn't down to me.
2. Maybe I wasn't very clear first time round. I'll try re-phrasing the point:
If an event that is a 'miracle' did or does indeed occur, then that event must have a naturalistic explanation which is at least as good as the spiritual explanation.
This seems to be a necessary entailment from 1, since if it isn't true, then there will be the possibility of events which have 'god' as part of the best (or even only) explanation. That would mean empirical evidence for god, and 'god' having explanatory value.
3. Yeah, you've made this point a number of times. Why is uncertainty so important?

Quote:
Quote:Caecilian Wrote:
All facts, including all phenomenal facts, are metaphysically necessitated by the microphysical facts. If P is a statement that reports all the microphysical facts and Q is a statement that reports all phenomenal facts...then:
(Entailment Thesis) P -> Q is metaphysically necessary.
Perhaps you could translate that philosobabble into English and I'll do my best to answer. Or PM Arcanus and see if he's willing to discuss philosophy with you... he's conversant in it.

Sorry about the philosbabble. I find it alarmingly easy to slip into it. Confused

Will try to translate, although philosobabble -> English is sometimes tricky.

Microphysical facts are the facts re. very low-level physical states- think of quantum mechanics and you'll be close enough. P is the complete set of microphysical facts that describes the universe in terms of low-level physics. Obviously, it isn't (and will never be) a practical proposition to actually know P, but we're talking metaphysics here, so practicalities aren't an issue (one reason why I'm not so keen on metaphysics).

Phenomenal facts are the facts re. higher-level phenomena such as objects, stars and also conscious states, social institutions etc. Q is the complete set of phenomenal facts that describe the universe on higher levels of analysis. It explicitly includes facts about phenomena that aren't normally thought of as physical - i.e. mental and social phenomena.

Materialist monism says that P necessarily entails Q. In other words, given P there is no other way that Q could be.

Sound good to you? Devil

(May 14, 2010 at 8:20 pm)nickos777 Wrote: i'm sorry for 'flying off the handle'

No problem.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by Caecilian - May 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - May 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - June 4, 2010 at 12:12 pm
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words. - by fr0d0 - June 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2824 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44853 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2324 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The implications of Obama's words at the Charleston shooting memorial. Duty 21 1997 April 13, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5450 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1732 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christian trigger words Nihilist Virus 173 21405 April 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8738 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2573 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 23368 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician