Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 4:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is promoting virginity harmful to young girls/women?
RE: Is promoting virginity harmful to young girls/women?
Losty,

Personally I don't like the idea of children pledging virginity. I think the decision must be made by the adult, and it's a decision that adults make day by day rather than as something pledged.

But I do support the ideal of sex within marriage, or at least within a relationship that is willing and able to commit to raise any child resulting from sex. For me that it is because I believe life starts at conception, and so I cannot condone abortion. Sex, being intrinsically linked to pregnancy is therefore best kept within a relationship that is able and prepared to bring up that child. There is also an intimacy of sex that is inevitably devalued by having multiple partners; as someone said earlier it simply becomes 'sport'. I prefer values that hold it as something more special than sport or entertainment. Needless to say there is also an advantage that STDs would have much lower impact if the number of sexual partners were significantly reduced (we now know, for example, that the risk of early preterm birth, a major cause of disability, increases significantly with the number of sexual partners a woman has had, because it is linked to hidden low-grade genital infection).

But the title of your thread made me a wince a little because it does seem to reflect a greater pressure on girls than boys, and I think that reflects the reality. No doubt that is because of where the consequences lie, and girls were wrongly ostracised in the past whereas boys could disappear back into the background. That was very wrong.

Anyway, that's just a view from another place. I appreciate that I'm taking a counter-cultural (at least on this forum) view here, so will go and don my tin hat.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is promoting virginity harmful to young girls/women? - by Michael - August 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1496 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  87% of Young Irish Vote for Abortion! Jehanne 43 3945 May 31, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Women as priests Der/die AtheistIn 53 8687 August 4, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Three Christian Women marry Jesus Divinity 21 4415 July 14, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christian war on women Fake Messiah 30 4522 April 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Girls drugged and abused at church-run home zebo-the-fat 20 2661 July 17, 2016 at 6:31 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Christian Apologists Act Like Abused Women Rhondazvous 17 4174 May 17, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Here You Go, Girls.... Minimalist 27 3122 May 2, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Teach children about Jesus at a young age, Foxaèr 171 30273 March 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  How can women be Christian? stop_pushing_me 45 8478 August 26, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous