Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 7:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible and its fallacies and contradictions
RE: The Bible and its fallacies and contradictions
(June 3, 2010 at 3:04 am)tackattack Wrote: I'm sure that's plenty to stir up a conversation.

Not really. There's no way to refute your points if we don't know the specifics. You say "this one time, God answered my prayer and helped out my friend, therefore prayer works." And all I'm left with to counter is... "did not."

: /

Godschild said

The video was meant to show that prayers can be left unanswered, can be answered immediately, or can be answered long after the prayer was sent. It doesn't matter whether you substitute the video's example of "give me money" with "give money to the poor" or "give me guidance so that I may carry out your will, Lord," the same three possibilities exist. Similarly, it doesn't matter whether you're praying to God, Allah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or a jug of milk; anything that you give a voice will have those options. And the believer wins no matter what, because they can choose whichever of those three rationalizations that is most appropriate to the situation.

So let's say you pray for "guidance." Immediately, you see a commercial pop on the television saying to donate to a certain charity and, thinking this is a sign from God, you donate. Another possibility is that nothing remarkable happens for the next three days, but then you get an email from your friend telling you to check out a church's website. You go to the website and the church's ideals match greatly with your own, you think back three days ago to when you prayed for "guidance," and believe God has finally answered your prayer... you join the church. The third possibility of the prayer going unanswered, here, is unlikely because really anything can be interpreted as "guidance." In more specific prayers, like "please God make WingedFoe a believer," you could rationalize that prayer gong unanswered by saying "WingedFoe was simply 'blind,'" or "WingedFoe exercised his 'free will.'"

The point is that there are a million rationalizations one can make for a prayer being answered, and a million more for a prayer going unanswered. Those same rationalizations work equally for non-existent beings as they do for supposedly existent (yet invisible) beings.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bible and its fallacies and contradictions - by WingedFoe - June 7, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 45341 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5493 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Kent Hovind talks about bible contradictions drfuzzy 29 7385 January 3, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  At its Core, Christianity is a Gay Religion Rhondazvous 34 6925 July 6, 2015 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Metis
  I don't care about bible contradictions. CapnAwesome 112 26969 July 1, 2015 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Why do gospel contradictions matter? taylor93112 87 19966 April 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva
  Fallacies in an "Answered Prayer" explanation? Clueless Morgan 33 7659 April 26, 2015 at 1:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Creation "science" at its finest! Esquilax 22 7668 January 30, 2015 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7562 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Christianity and its effect on self-worth Strider 210 25239 January 8, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: robvalue