Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christianity and its effect on self-worth
Christianity and its effect on self-worth
One of the most corrosive elements of Christianity is its assertions regarding the inherent worth of humanity. This psychologically damaging and twisted concept is endemic within the Christian faith. One of the most well-known hymns, "Amazing Grace", describes humans as wretches in need of saving. Faithfuls constantly claim that they aren't worthy of god's love yet he loves them regardless, such is his magnanimous nature. Christians believe that they constantly fail, fall short of the glory of god, despite any and all positive actions. Evangelicals make self-deprecating statements such as this one from an AFA mouthpiece:
Quote:God has every right and reason to purge me from His presence and send me to hell.

I don’t deserve to be happy or blessed. I don’t deserve the home I live in, the family I have, my awesome job, or the church family that claims me. I am not good. I know it. And if God was who so many people seem to think He is, I would have nothing in life to look forward to. Hell would be my destination, like it or not.

http://afa.net/the-stand/bible/glory-be/

He actually believes he deserves hell, deserves eternal punishment for merely existing. Furthermore, he believes that he does not deserve happiness or any of the other positive aspects of his life. Consider how utterly devastating those statements would be to a person with depression of any degree. How many people live their lives feeling shame and unworthiness for simply being alive because of the harmful Christian view of self-worth and self-esteem?

Self-esteem is viewed as particularly troublesome because some attribute this to pride, the presumed stumbling block to those trying to lead godly lives. Others like to tap dance around the concept of self-esteem saying that it's fine to have self-esteem as long as it stems from a person's identity in Christ rather than perceived notions of personal qualities and actions. However, this view is nearly as acidic because it teaches the individual that acknowledging his/her good qualities and positive actions is prideful, thus bad.

This toxic mindset is detrimental to day-to-day living, relationships, marriage, and so much more. This message promotes the idea that a person can be of no worth acting on his or her own without god; "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

The inherent shame and guilt that must come with Christianity if one is to follow it faithfully is poisonous, absolutely poisonous. Even if I were not an atheist, this sole concept of the self would be enough for me to abandon Christianity as the hateful, harmful, and revolting dogma that it is.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
RE: Christianity and its effect on self-worth
The very basics of mind control and brainwashing are apparent in the Christian faith. You are correct sir, it is absolutely disgusting.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
[Image: Mommy-1.jpg]
(December 30, 2014 at 2:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: Mommy-1.jpg]

[Image: 549a784fe6f2b_zpseff310f5.jpeg~320x480]
I've seen an appropriate meme describing this around the forum before, but this concept features all of the psychological hallmarks of an abusive relationship. The abuser constantly reminds the victim of how worthless he is, how he has failed, and how he is incapable of doing anything on his own. The victim eventually believes this as fact and either stays with or returns to the abuser in many cases. The relationship is clearly one-sided; one maintains complete power and control while the other is brainwashed into believing lies to keep the individual in his subservient status.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
(December 30, 2014 at 3:09 pm)Strider Wrote: I've seen an appropriate meme describing this around the forum before, but this concept features all of the psychological hallmarks of an abusive relationship. The abuser constantly reminds the victim of how worthless he is, how he has failed, and how he is incapable of doing anything on his own. The victim eventually believes this as fact and either stays with or returns to the abuser in many cases. The relationship is clearly one-sided; one maintains complete power and control while the other is brainwashed into believing lies to keep the individual in his subservient status.

Perhaps a new hymn describing our codependency with god?

(You must have some psychological or sociological training. Very astute observations. Wish I could give you another rep)
You want to know where Christians gotten that ability to brain was people from well most religion i should say.
Hitler he perfected indoctrination and religion just came along and scooped it up and started using in and shaming
Hitler. So yes modern indoctrination is pretty much how Hitler gotten his followers to do his dirty work.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Strider Wrote: The inherent shame and guilt that must come with Christianity if one is to follow it faithfully is poisonous, absolutely poisonous. Even if I were not an atheist, this sole concept of the self would be enough for me to abandon Christianity as the hateful, harmful, and revolting dogma that it is.

It comes with all the Abrahamic religions. They all basically say, you're a sinning piece of shit and are deserving eternal punishment if you don't follow the particular book to the letter.

And they all attack sexuality the most. That's a sure way to create mental wrecks that are easily manipulated as Freud already observed.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I see the problem with Abrahamic religions it teaches you than you are trash and worthless.
You are loved by god and you must love god more than yourself and hate everyone.
The issues with this and this is why people "cherry pick" is to loose the bad parts.
The issue comes down to it is i see is that the mind set of people who follow this believe
they are terrible deep down inside but wont say it. It makes people devalue their lives
to a point where they just want to die and go to heaven... all in all Abrahamic religions
are just death cults.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 30, 2014 at 3:22 pm)Spooky Wrote: Perhaps a new hymn describing our codependency with god?

(You must have some psychological or sociological training. Very astute observations. Wish I could give you another rep)
No psychological or sociological training here outside of taking 101 courses during my university studies. Some of what I say comes from firsthand experience. I used to feel like shit after leaving church sometimes even though I didn't even really believe in the Christian concept of god. That may sound ridiculous, but when these concepts are forced on you for well over a decade (at that point) then you have residual traces of indoctrination whether you like it or not. I've struggled with severe depression for a long time and the last thing I needed to hear at the time was that I was worthless and nothing without god. It is truly harmful and it caused me unneeded and unnecessary anguish at the time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction of self confidence debunk_pls 50 5107 November 19, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: emjay
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 3948 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11478 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 19786 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4517 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71512 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5200 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10363 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christianity And Peace Der/die AtheistIn 12 2805 July 22, 2017 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 39706 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished