Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 22, 2024, 10:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should man rule over women for women’s own good?
RE: Should man rule over women for women’s own good?
(August 28, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Losty Wrote: Obviously not. But she makes that submission willingly. She is in no way obligated or coerced or intimidated into it.
This is why I had initially asked Esquiliax to define 'submit.'
"The Greek word for submission is hupotasso, “to subordinate…put under…” God exhorts women to voluntarily follow their husband’s leadership (Ephesians 5:22, 1 Peter 3:1). A woman is actively doing this-- choosing to put herself under leadership, choosing to be subordinate in a circumstance or relationship. This is not forced upon her by the recipient." full article here
(August 29, 2014 at 8:56 am)Luckie Wrote: And I also hope that we can both agree that if my husband pulled out a book that says my submission to his authority is my duty per the word of a Supreme Authority--then that would be debasing.
I agree with part of your statement. As per the above article, we're given that the word 'submit' means voluntarily. By definition, if a wife is forced into voluntary submission, then it wouldn't be voluntary. Therefore, it is not a husbands role to force his wife into submission. This [husband's] action would negate a wife her opportunity to live in accordance with the scriptures.

I disagree with part of your statement. Namely that choosing to live in accordance with an ideal (which includes biblically defined marriage roles), and having people (my wife/fellow Christians) hold me accountable to said ideal (including what my husbandry role is), would be debasing. As an over simplified analogy: if one were in math class, added 2+2 and answered 5, certainly one wouldn't feel debased if the teacher pointed to a book to correct one's thought process. I hope you see that I'm differentiating between a husband informing his wife of her biblical role, and forcing her into it. That while it would be debasing, and unbiblical, for a husband to force a wife into submission it is not debasing for a husband to teach his wife what the biblical roles for husbands and wives are.
(August 29, 2014 at 12:57 am)Esquilax Wrote: One informs the other. Discussing marriage relationships divorced (if you'll pardon the pun) from the larger context of gender relations when what we're discussing literally relates to gender means that we're missing large swathes of information. Fact is, during the time that those commandments for husbands and wives were written, the idea of what a wife was and how one went about the business of marriage were very different, and that matters to the discussion.

I never pardon puns, they do nothing but good work.

I agree that times have changed, in some ways for the better and in some ways for the worse. Are you making the argument that biblically defined roles are outdated?
(August 29, 2014 at 12:57 am)Esquilax Wrote:
Quote:1. Biblically defined roles directly encourage abuse.
2. Biblically defined roles offer easy justification for abuse.
3. Biblically defined roles furnish no positive effects at all.
4. Biblically defined roles are huge, sweeping generalizations.
5. If huge, sweeping generalizations work for an individual it is best that he/she enters into said generalizations of his/her free will.
6. If huge, sweeping generalizations do not work for an individual, then said generalizations are nothing but a trap.
.:/ If biblically defined roles offer a chance for abuse and provide no positive effects at all, then they are more harmful than anything else, and are morally wrong.
Accurate representation?
Basically

Unfortunately I don't have time to address your argument presently and I want to post the rest. I will address your argument in the near future.
(August 29, 2014 at 12:57 am)Esquilax Wrote: though with regard to five and six, I'd suggest that if you make a generalization and then are able to point to exceptions, then that generalization is factually incorrect and useless on its face, and that is why they shouldn't be used. It's like, if I make the generalization "flowers are blue," and then you show me red flowers, then I guess not all flowers are blue, and what I've said is wrong. If you say "women should submit to their husbands," based on the bible, and all I can come up with are scenarios in which women should not do that, and no scenarios in which that would be bindingly true, then that too is an incorrect statement on a factual level.

Thanks for the clarification. You've assumed a certain qualification for submissions, namely negative. When you think of wives submit, you think: wives submit to physical abuse, mental abuse, being bossed around, being treated less than equal, etc. You've also stated you can't think of a single scenario in which it would be beneficial for a wife to submit to her husband (if you try I'm sure you can think of a few). If this is how you qualify submission then I completely understand why you would reject this teaching.
(August 29, 2014 at 12:57 am)Esquilax Wrote: I'm asking why god would formulate these commandments that ostensibly lead to better, more effective marriages, and then remain entirely silent on the huge pitfalls that would lead to that not being true.

An argument from silence?

Certainly there are plenty of scriptures to guide a person's code of conduct that would apply to how a husband should 'lay down his life' for his wife and how this leaves no possibility to justify abusing her. God certainly hasn't said nothing, and He certainly hasn't spoken specifically to every possible scenario.
(August 29, 2014 at 12:57 am)Esquilax Wrote: Or is it that those commandments aren't there to make better marriages, and are instead... what? Like, weird personal opinions? Thinking
I lost you here.
(August 29, 2014 at 12:57 am)Esquilax Wrote:

Both of your answers fit well within the biblical roles of husbands and wives. I'm trying to point out here that if a husband is called to 'lay down his life' for his wife I would expect that all things being equal (that the choice between houses is only a matter of preference) the biblically defined role of the husband would necessitate that he choose home B and the wife willingly submit to his decision [of choosing home B]. Also, a wife submitting to her husband in no way necessitates a husband can't or shouldn't ask for her input on a decision.
(August 29, 2014 at 12:57 am)Esquilax Wrote: Wouldn't a believer have to accept god's judgment regardless of the content of that judgment? Mysterious ways, he knows better and all that? Thinking
Yes, the believer would have to accept God's judgment regardless of the content of that judgment. The Bible clearly defines the judgments for believers and non-believers.
(August 29, 2014 at 12:57 am)Esquilax Wrote: Maybe you've never had a stalker. Tongue

I conceded here, after this initial statement. Didn't see that one coming.

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should man rule over women for women’s own good? - by orangebox21 - September 4, 2014 at 4:26 pm
RE: Should man rule over women for women’s own good? - by Chas - September 15, 2014 at 10:31 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 901 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Too Late Fucktards. You Own Him Now. Minimalist 10 1602 October 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  What if Jesus died for his own sins? Nihilist Virus 32 5831 August 27, 2016 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Physical man VS Spiritual man Won2blv 33 6248 July 9, 2016 at 9:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  How to Prove Your Own Position without Trying Very Hard Randy Carson 59 12008 July 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Hannity gets served by an atheist... and his own stupidity Regina 73 11213 June 23, 2015 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Jimmy Carter leaves Southern Baptists to stew in their own sexism. Whateverist 28 5979 April 24, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Theists protect their own egos. Brian37 9 2499 November 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheist protect their own eggo's Drich 8 1407 November 14, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christian bigots sell out their own moral commandments in order to preach to gays. Esquilax 22 4996 July 13, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: John V