Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 4:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage)
RE: The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage)
Quote:Sorry i meant "gave a value as equivalent as "right to live""

Ah... well in that case: how is that 'not okay'? It certainly seems a simple enough philosophy. Sleepy

1. breaking the law = crime.

In the land where law mandates we wear red (Read: Soviet Russia :dpdgy: )... wearing blue is breaking the law, and therefore wearing blue is a crime.

In the Klingon Empire, killing is not against the law, and therefore murder is not a crime.

Defined as so... 'crime' really doesn't say all that much about the action(s)... and it is a very subjective word that always requires context.

2. Murder is a crime, but it is has some conditions where it can be committed, like self-defense.

Following the former conclusion... firstly: is not... and secondly: so what? And now onto the subject of conditions... if murder is defined as killing a person with intent and without (perceived?) necessitation (assuming you are defining it thusly?)... then every other situation that does not include every single one of these (ie: killing a person, killing a person with intent (but with perceived necessitation), killing a pig with intent and without perceived necessitation (assuming it is not a person), killing a person without perceived necessitation (but also without intent)) is not murder to begin with. Under such use of law... one can never commit a crime and suffer no consequences (assuming they were identified and 'caught' by the law-giving body).
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
RE: The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) - by Violet - June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1876 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2348 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Information I hate human race,civilization and people in groups. MountainsWinAgain 48 14565 March 25, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2041 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Feral Children and the initial human state WinterHold 1 915 December 10, 2018 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 9676 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8679 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. Mystic 210 26247 November 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15992 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 22483 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam