Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 2:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God
RE: Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God
(December 28, 2014 at 8:48 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 28, 2014 at 8:43 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Prove it

No, you tell us on what you base your logic for the existence of god. You claim to base your knowledge on the same premises as we all do. You have to throw some of your knowledge overboard to allow logic to arrive at something supernatural defying natural laws.

I'm asking for proof of a positive claim. He made it, let him defend it.

Obviously in not claiming any compromise of natural laws.

(December 28, 2014 at 8:53 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote:
(December 28, 2014 at 8:25 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: With respect, I shall wait for doodles response, as I don't want to repeat myself. It would be rude to carry on without him, even though these might be his questions exactly. I'll wait for him to confirm that.

Those are similar to my questions.

Here is a thread where I asked for ideas about how supernatural could interface to natural scientifically. Alex K suggested that supernatural could utilize the randomness in quantum mechanics.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-30172.html

Even if we allow that supernatural could affect natural, shouldn't there be some evidence of this effect? I know it is difficult, because any failure can be excused by saying "the Lord works in mysterious ways."

In my case the slow, stumbling evolution of Judaism and Christainity makes me skeptical about divine inspiration. How do you feel about that issue?

How much do you trust the narratives in the gospels? How much is factual? What do you think Jesus meant by the title "Son of Man"? Have you read Bart Ehrman's books about the gospels?

Your question on the natural link to the supernatural breaks my logic conditions. You're going to have to prove to me logically how the supernatural and natural could interact.

I'm not saying that that's impossible, I'm just saying that without a toolkit to match that of a supernatural entity, we are I'll equipped.

The slow stumbling evolution of world faiths is evidence of a slow understanding of divinity. Christianity is in my opinion simply the last evolutionary step in that direction. It may be superseded.

I've read mins posts for several years so I feel that I know Bart Ehrman personally. I garnish that with a modest sprinkling of opposing views and come to the conclusion that I do. Factual isn't a label I put on the Bible. I know why I use it and it's purpose.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God - by fr0d0 - December 28, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 25410 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5390 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33715 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2394 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42191 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17850 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4540 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3640 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11497 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 5525 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda