Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 6:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
Blackout Wrote:Not only men, rape culture is aimed at women who trivialize rape as well, let's not forget that. Regardless of that, your personal experience tells me nothing about it. First of all, rape culture is about men and women, given that male rape victims are mocked and laughed at, which is a shameful and disgusting social reaction. Second, rape culture is about subconscious or indirect messages that trivialize rape, not only about people explicitly saying "I'm against rape" - For instance, why do some news make it very important about describing how the victim was dressed, or how much she drank? Why are rape jokes so popular when they can actually hurt people who've been sexually assaulted? Why is rape thrown vulgarly in series like GOT as an entertainment strategy and not as something awful that leads to character development? Why do most rapists not get reported, and when they do, most are not sentenced? Why do myths about rape or misconceptions - Like the ones that tells us rape happen outside of home when in fact most sexual assault acts happen in a relationship, in a place where the victim once felt safe and with someone they trusted - Still exist? You want a personal example too? I'll tell you this one - Once a 14 year old got raped in my country, I checked out a news website and the comment box was full of people saying "what was she thinking it'd happen when she drank that much" or "why did she wear that and expected to not be assaulted" or "why do you complain when it's your fault and you could have prevented it" Thinking

Again where are your numbers? What has happened with rape convictions in the last 20 years? Do those numbers and trends justify tarring large swathes of the population with the accusation of at least silently supporting rape?
Quote:That's terribly unfair and the claim that someone is a rapist for being a man is completely irrational, however how many feminists really claim that and how representative are they of the feminist movement? Thinking

I think we're talking past each other, in the sense that I have no problem with the views held by most feminists, which as I noted earlier are laudable in their thrust. It's only the radicals that irk me -- those who make a cottage industry of bashing anyone who doesn't accept their claims lock, stock, and barrel.

I like the term egalitarian as used above, and though I've never considered it as a descriptor for myself, I think I will start using it ... it describes my views succinctly and without baggage.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? - by Thumpalumpacus - January 2, 2015 at 7:29 pm
SPEEDBUMP - by Fidel_Castronaut - December 4, 2015 at 9:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 7597 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2754 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2705 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2667 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9068 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 5528 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 22051 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3770 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 7178 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1239 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89