Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
To be honest, I get a little uncomfortable applying the label 'feminist' to myself or my putting my beliefs under 'feminism.' Sure, I believe in gender equality; I don't know very many people who don't believe in that. If it really was just down to that specific dictionary definition of feminism, I think everyone would gladly call themselves feminist.

But then I started to learn otherwise. You see, I'm trans and because of the issues I've had with my ex and the family courts, I'm also interested in fathers rights. I have children with my ex; I haven't seen them for years and because of child support deductions, I've been in a state of nearly constant and extreme poverty without the ability to get the stability I need to get out of that poverty. Yet, when I attempt to discuss these issues in feminist spaces, I'm told I'm derailing, I'm internalizing misogyny or that my problems aren't real problems. It was nothing but hostility towards someone who was desperate and struggling and on the verge of suicide multiple times because of those issues.

And that kind of experience opened my eyes. You see, before that I assumed feminism was an automatically benevolent thing. When I faced that kind of hostility, I started to question things and I started to see a lot of bad feminism as well. I saw Rebecca Watson labeling all athest men as misogynists (or at least any atheist who doesn't make their discussions all about social justice). I saw Anita Sarkeesian taking pop culture completely out of context, find the worst possible interpretation and harping on that interpretatio like there's no possible question. I saw Chanty "Big Red" Binx, attacking a group of men for attempting to talk about mens issues. I saw Meg Lankier-Simmons politicizing a rape threat she made to herself. I saw Adria Richards getting a guy fired becase she was evesdropping on a personal conversation he was having at a conference. I've seen self descibed feminists turn everything into rape and then turn aroud and get upset because nobody takes them seriously when they talk about rape. Yes, there are a lot of crazy people who use the title 'feminist' to justify very bad behavior and I'm really uncomfortable being associated with it.

But I don't call myself an MRA, either. Truth is, a lot of MRA's just mirror the feminists they claim to hate; some are way too extreme or crazy or hateful, others are more reasonable. I really don't like putting a label on my beliefs; I believe in equality and you can put any label on that belief system that you want.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? - by TaraJo - January 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm
SPEEDBUMP - by Fidel_Castronaut - December 4, 2015 at 9:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 6138 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2342 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2112 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2360 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7562 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4807 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19403 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3574 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6390 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1139 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89