Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 7:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cosmological argument for atheism
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism
(August 21, 2010 at 7:55 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: 1 If god exists he was responsible for the big bang singularity
2 The big bang singularity is the whole universe prior to the inflationary event (the bang) of space and time, matter and energy
3 If god exists he configured an orderly big bang singularity to be consistent with the evolution of animate life
4 The predictability of cosmic evolution is restricted due to the breakdown in physical theory occurring at the Big Bang singularity*
5 From 4 God cannot predict nor control the initial conditions and therefore cannot be certain of the outcome
6 From 3 and 5 God does not exist

*This is evidenced from the so called principle of invincible ignorance, from Hawking-Penrose singularity theorem.
Interesting method of using their own logic to disprove the theory, though there are many sorts of cosmological arguements.
The one I'm most familiar with tends to involve there needing to be a 'first cause' to which god itself is excempt from, which has its own logical fallacies.

Were I a theist, I would likely point out that since god is omnipotent and omnicient and exists beyond reality, that the laws of nature that had broken down that early in the singularity's existance would be irrelevant or some other such nonsense. Still, every cosmological arguement explicitly requires a non-evidence based arguement that attempts to rationally prove, at the very least, the possibility or likelihood of god's existance.
However, every such arguement tends to have the following problems:
Use of Ad Hoc arguement - from the attempts at explaining how and why goddunit
Argumentum Ex Culo - comes from all arguements based on religion or faith
Arguement from Ignorance - we don't know because goddunit
Arguement from Incredulity - a universe without god leads to ridiculous things and therefore cannot happen
Arguement from Authority - the bible/quaran/etc says...
Begging the Question - The universe that so easily allows for life to exist seems so perfectly balanced that it begs the question that...
False Dilemma - The beginning of the universe can only happen in two ways: one that makes sense where god makes it or the one that is ridiculous
Negative Proof - You don't have proof of anything when when I can rationally explain that goddunit
Post Hoc - Because the universe exists, god must have caused it

(Yes, I've downloaded a list of logical fallacies that I keep on my computer from Rationalwiki.)

I'm sure there are more, but every cosmological arguement for god's existance from the standpoint of the creation of the universe seems to contain all of these fallacies simultaneously and I'm probably even missing a few that should be up there, but this sort of thing always varies with the arguement and the arguer.

Beyond that, I will say that it's still a better standpoint than any and all creationist arguements, even if it is just a modified 'god of the gaps' since the overwhelming evidence refutes all religious accounts for the genesis of the universe, earth, life, and just about everything else.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan

Messages In This Thread
Cosmological argument for atheism - by Captain Scarlet - August 21, 2010 at 7:55 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Minimalist - August 21, 2010 at 8:30 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by TheDarkestOfAngels - August 21, 2010 at 9:35 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by fr0d0 - August 21, 2010 at 9:39 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Captain Scarlet - August 22, 2010 at 6:06 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by fr0d0 - August 22, 2010 at 6:34 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Captain Scarlet - August 22, 2010 at 6:41 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Tiberius - August 22, 2010 at 6:47 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by fr0d0 - August 22, 2010 at 6:59 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Captain Scarlet - August 22, 2010 at 7:32 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by fr0d0 - August 22, 2010 at 8:34 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Captain Scarlet - August 22, 2010 at 9:12 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by fr0d0 - August 22, 2010 at 10:06 am
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Captain Scarlet - August 22, 2010 at 1:00 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by fr0d0 - August 22, 2010 at 3:06 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Captain Scarlet - August 22, 2010 at 3:59 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by fr0d0 - August 22, 2010 at 5:03 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by Captain Scarlet - August 22, 2010 at 5:43 pm
RE: Cosmological argument for atheism - by fr0d0 - August 22, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 107116 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Kalam Cosmological Nonsense median 18 4437 April 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: median
  Argument for atheism from necessary evil Captain Scarlet 61 24816 August 30, 2010 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Entropist