Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
For this thread let us lump all denominations of atheism, agnosticism, and soft non deistic worldviews into one.

Feel free to state your best argument or compelling reasons.
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
(March 15, 2017 at 10:18 am)PETE_ROSE Wrote: For this thread let us lump all denominations of atheism, agnosticism, and soft non deistic worldviews into one.

Feel free to state your  best argument or  compelling reasons.

The more you lean about theology, apologetics, and the atheists arguments (and their rebuttals), it clears away any compelling argument for atheism. I think people believe the case for atheism to be much stronger than it really is and/or that Christianity is much more impervious to assault than it really is.
The more you lean about theology, apologetics, and the theist arguments (and their rebuttals), it clears away any compelling argument for theism. I think people believe the case for theism to be much stronger than it really is and/or that Christianity is much more impervious to assault than it really is.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(March 15, 2017 at 10:33 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: The more you lean about theology, apologetics, and the theist arguments (and their rebuttals), it clears away any compelling argument for theism. I think people believe the case for theism to be much stronger than it really is and/or that Christianity is much more impervious to assault than it really is.

Not all theists arguments are based on theology and religious beliefs Fat.
Try to knock down theism based on yoga if you can.
Many people try and try only to fail again and again.  Smile
A better question is: Do you know and understand the atheist arguments for atheism enough to debate with the atheists over them?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
For me I would answer in the affirmative. I was an extreme skeptic before. I merely did not arrive at Atheism. Open mind and all that.
Limp Rik: Yeah, that would be like trying to clean out a chimney using yoga. I'm sure people would fail again and again there too. So is there anything at all that yoga is good for apart from keeping limber? Nope.

(March 15, 2017 at 10:18 am)PETE_ROSE Wrote: For this thread let us lump all denominations of atheism, agnosticism, and soft non deistic worldviews into one.

Feel free to state your  best argument or  compelling reasons.

The best reason for atheism is the refusal to take on faith unsupported claims which are farfetched and/or absurd on the face of it.  One does not argue their way to atheism, one merely refrains from embracing theism and other crazy sounding beliefs without good reason.
Better question is: what would dissuade you from your religion? If you're a Christian and let's say you somehow got in possession of time machine and you went into the past like 2000 years and you saw Jesus being crucified, but that he didn't resurrect and you see it with your eyes his disciples making it up, would you still believe?

Or if you went in the same time period and you saw bunch of guys claiming they're messiah, but they all look fake, so Jesus from the Bible never existed and you saw people making him up by mixing all sorts of mythologies, would you still believe?
An argument for atheism? Hmmm…. I’ll go with divine hiddenness. When I was an atheist, I found the silence of God in response to earnest prayer troubling.
When I was a theist, the most compelling argument I ever heard for atheism was, "Read the bible fully."

I did. It worked.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4906 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 39946 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17003 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16727 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7755 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3263 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5223 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22180 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 18914 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 18019 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated