Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist
RE: Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist
(March 12, 2015 at 1:49 am)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(March 11, 2015 at 10:42 pm)Drich Wrote: You guys are too easy sometimes.
In the movie I referenced "bury my heart at wounded knee" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0821638/
http://www.jacknilan.com/nativeamerican/...heart.html

the stated goal of Henry Dawes http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_L._Dawes
Was to break the will of the plains Indians and put them on reservations. He was the senator who sponsered the Dawes act (in the movie and in real life) which was later found to be the piece of legislation that had illegally stolen land (the Dakotas) from Indians and given it to the goverment.

He was quoted in saying " we will assimilate the Sioux or we will see them extinct."

I've read the book, thanks. The Sioux certainly haven't been assimilated. The were forced onto a reservation -- those who chose to stay in America, that is -- and at greatly reduced numbers due to a campaign aimed at genocide in order to remove them as an obstacle to settlement in the Dakotas, and the exploitation of the minerals therein. They had their lands expropriated, their children taken away from them to be educated in schools run by whites, and were given starvation rations for many years before the 1890 massacre.

That the word "assimilation" was used by the architect of their demise is not an example of correct usage, but rather, of euphemism. It was for all intents and purposes an incomplete genocide but a successful ethnic cleansing.

(March 11, 2015 at 10:42 pm)Drich Wrote: You didn't get it did you? pun-ie/Pawnee.. (it's this whole other tribe of Indians)

Probably because it's an entirely different tribe, from a different part of the country, with different traditions. It'd be as if I were talking about Koreans, and then made a joke about Vietnamese.

But hey, I guess to some folks, they all look the same, eh?

If you read the book you would have known the Sue were used by the goverment (given guns) to defeat the Pawnee.. I think your thinking of park and receration (it's a TV show, that uses the word Pawnee as a name to the town the show is centered on.) that show takes place in a different part of country.

oh and I used the word assimilate correctly again read the defination before you speak.

If I quote reference material to support what I have said. If I provide a link to something I said and you appose, it means you are wrong. If you somehow still feel your right then at that point you must find a more reputible source than the one I have provided to over turn what I am stating. To just say 'nut-uh' and repeat yourself inspite of properly documented source material, makes you look stupid/diminished capasity. Plus I don't need to look any more arrogant or harsh by beating up on someone with a diminished capasity. So please, If I provide a source research before you speak and speak on what I have posted. Not what you think is right. Because again the source material is the 'proof' you are not right.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist - by Drich - March 12, 2015 at 9:19 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is peaceful revolution possible? Macoleco 27 1616 October 7, 2021 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 2210 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 875 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Cultural Identities and Ships of Theseus ignoramus 2 445 December 10, 2018 at 7:37 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  So Not Every WLB Voter Was a Racist Retard. Minimalist 16 1229 October 29, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Losing respect for Rand Paul shadow 127 12416 February 4, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Ann Coulter Reminds the WLB That His Racist Fans Don't Care About Tax Cuts Minimalist 29 6971 September 1, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Sessions, In Addition To Being A Racist Shit Is Also A Liar Minimalist 3 782 July 21, 2017 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Up yours you racist, misogynist, ignorant Trump voters. Whateverist 11 2606 April 10, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Illinois senator makes racist comment in debate Doubting Thomas 15 2067 October 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas