Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 2:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument for atheism from impossible actions
RE: Argument for atheism from impossible actions
(August 31, 2010 at 7:52 am)solja247 Wrote: 2. God has created everything and can do whatever He pleases

Since when are arguments true just by making an assertion and then following the line of thinking out to some other fatuous conclusion? Oh, I finally get it! He created everything, so he can do anything he wants! Makes perfect sense. Glad that's settled once and for all.

1. Zeus is immaterial, not materialistic.
2. Zeus has created everything and can do whatever He pleases
3. Since Zeus can do whatever He wants, He can enter and manipulate the materialistic world
4. Therefore, Zeus is not constricted to the immaterialistic world

If God is, well, God, he doesn't necessarily have to be constricted to the immaterial world, and indeed, if he is constricted to the immaterial world, he's not omnipotent. In other words, if he can't affect events in the material world, he's limited in some way. And that's not our definition of God, unless of course, we want to claim that God is not omnipotent.
(August 30, 2010 at 6:06 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: The Christian god is said to exist by definition in a superntural realm as an omnipotent but incorporeal mind. As such an incorporeal mind has no potential nor kinetic energy they are incapable of acting upon the material world.

I suppose, but it seems to me omnipotence, by definition, includes the ability to affect the physical world, or else, God is limited in some way. Ergo, he didn't make the heavens and earth, nor send plagues, nor any of the other physical actions commonly attributed to God. We can, of course, throw out the Bible, miracles and theology in general, which I'm happy to do, but that would seem to make above statement a non-issue in the first place.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---

Messages In This Thread
RE: Argument for atheism from impossible actions - by everythingafter - September 1, 2010 at 12:02 pm
RE: Argument for atheism from impossible actions - by fr0d0 - September 1, 2010 at 1:56 am
RE: Argument for atheism from impossible actions - by fr0d0 - September 1, 2010 at 3:42 pm
RE: Argument for atheism from impossible actions - by fr0d0 - September 1, 2010 at 5:57 pm
RE: Argument for atheism from impossible actions - by fr0d0 - September 1, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2064 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Abiogenesis is impossible SavedByGraceThruFaith 1615 373023 May 2, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 22143 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 33032 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent. Greatest I am 104 47468 January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Adam and Eve impossible searchingforanswers 70 46479 September 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Bodily Resurrection of Christ was Impossible bjhulk 3 4586 February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Meta-ethical argument for atheism Captain Scarlet 19 7288 August 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Entropist