Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossible to love a monster
Impossible to love a monster
Most people find it difficult to love a monster.

Certainly, I've experienced my share of dislike.  I am a monster, after all.  At least I admit it, and at least others can recognize it in me (you damned atheists, I could be a god).

The biblical god is a monster, of tremendous proportion.   The fact that Christians would rather resort to the unreasonable "father figure" label is testament to their ignorance.  They then claim that god is above human understanding, yet they seem to understand god perfectly so long as they are telling non-believers that they must follow THIS god.  Contradictions and fallible religious interpretation abound.  Leaps and bounds.  

God is nothing more than man's willingness to fool himself into thinking there is a higher being that wants the world just as his human mind perceives it should be.  The god concept.  The willingness of man's mind to delude himself into believing that a god exists.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Impossible to love a monster
(April 5, 2018 at 2:18 am)Lutrinae Wrote: The biblical god is a monster, of tremendous proportion.   The fact that Christians would rather resort to the unreasonable "father figure" label is testament to their ignorance.  They then claim that god is above human understanding, yet they seem to understand god perfectly so long as they are telling non-believers that they must follow THIS god.  Contradictions and fallible religious interpretation abound.  Leaps and bounds.  

God is nothing more than man's willingness to fool himself into thinking there is a higher being that wants the world just as his human mind perceives it should be.  The god concept.  The willingness of man's mind to delude himself into believing that a god exists.

Dawkins got there first dude:

Richard Dawkins Wrote:The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
Isaiah 36 (KJV)

12 But Rabshakeh said, Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The Olympian Gods were vain, capricious shits, too.  Even in that, yhwh is nothing special.  Just one more shit god that mankind has dreamed up to scare itself.

The "gods" were the Slasher Movies of their day.
Farm animals get abused by "gods" for extra profit. They cannot fight back and can only suffer in cage whole life and get lucky by getting quick death via shot to the head at best. That's a very good example of religious worldview, utter nightmare.

If we are in the same position as those farm animals compared to possible God, what then...?
Most people -think- they'd find it difficult to love a monster.  They're wrong.  We do it with ease. The thing that's damned near impossible is -not- loving some monster you've come to love.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Awwwwww.

My big fluffy and white cat in named Monster.

Are you saying he's impossible to love?
Dying to live, living to die.
Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes;
their houses will be looted and their wives violated.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 5, 2018 at 2:56 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes;
their houses will be looted and their wives violated.

Obviously god was at the movies and someone had a screaming kid in the cinema.

In that context his reaction is understandable.
Dying to live, living to die.
I was thinking trans-oceanic flight.

But yeah . . . the cinema might also provoke such a divine response.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis is impossible SavedByGraceThruFaith 1615 364569 May 2, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 21729 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Human monster suggests Ebola could be a solution to the atheism "problem." Esquilax 35 6236 August 25, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 32442 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent. Greatest I am 104 46629 January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  God cannot love or be Love. Greatest I am 0 1400 December 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Adam and Eve impossible searchingforanswers 70 46112 September 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Bodily Resurrection of Christ was Impossible bjhulk 3 4574 February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Argument for atheism from impossible actions Captain Scarlet 16 7497 September 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: everythingafter