Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent.

Definition of omnipotent. ----- Having virtually unlimited authority or influence.

Definition of influence. ---- The act or power of producing an effect without apparent exertion of force or direct exercise of command. The power or capacity of causing an effect in indirect or intangible ways: sway. IOW, unlimited powers of persuasion.
-------------------------------------------------
2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
----------------------------------------------------
When we die, believers believe that we will face a God who is said to have infinite persuasive powers and influence on the conditions of our consciousness. This power would overwhelm any reluctance for any non-believers who were not sure of God’s existence before death. For the first time, this is when full disclosure answers all questions that have prevented non-believers from believing in God.

All then would come to repentance and be saved.

Given this theology, hell would become a construct without purpose or inhabitants.

That would make Bishop Spong correct in his view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

Why then would the Church invent the concept of hell?

By doing so, the Church ignores God’s omnipotence and causes God to back slide from his position of master of all time and space, to the master of just some. He would not be master of those in hell. It can be argued that God could destroy those souls but that just makes him a destroyer and not master which is his ultimate goal or intent for all souls.

Do you recognize the huge power of God’s persuasive powers that would negate or deal with any objection that the non-believer would have for his non-belief?

Do you recognize that none would choose hell and that it is therefore not required and that God would not cause his back slide by creating it?

Regards
DL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_TWhzG-p0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan#Judaism
RE: Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent.
Actually, it can get even more simple than that. If god is all knowing, then he already knew and felt all of the suffering of hellfire of all the souls that would be damned to hell before he even created the first person.

This isnt just "knowledge" like we humans identify it. A book didnt tell him. He KNOWS everything. which means he felt every single second of pain from every single soul he damned to hell for eternity before he even considered creating the universe.

How can someone "know all" when eternity exists in that situation? Hell never stops. It keeps going and going unending. how is it possible to "know all" when something like that exists?

the whole concept of Hell is not well thought out. I agree, it was invented to scare ignorant people into compliance.
(January 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Actually, it can get even more simple than that. If god is all knowing, then he already knew and felt all of the suffering of hellfire of all the souls that would be damned to hell before he even created the first person.

This isnt just "knowledge" like we humans identify it. A book didnt tell him. He KNOWS everything. which means he felt every single second of pain from every single soul he damned to hell for eternity before he even considered creating the universe.

How can someone "know all" when eternity exists in that situation? Hell never stops. It keeps going and going unending. how is it possible to "know all" when something like that exists?

the whole concept of Hell is not well thought out. I agree, it was invented to scare ignorant people into compliance.

I agree.

That and for $$$$$$$.

Fear is a great way to loosen those purse strings. Indulgences.

Well thought out BTW.

Regards
DL

I was waiting to give this to someone who might appreciate it.

http://atheistforums.org/newreply.php?ti...pid=226076

Regards
DL
I used to be more interested in gnostic/mystic type stuff in the past. I studied it deeply and then found that it was nothing more than mindfuck.

Then again...thats just my personal opinion...and even then I am still attracted to a bit of it, most especially Discordianism and the other absurdist "mysticism" (if you can call it that..LOL)
Freewill
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(January 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm)Godschild Wrote: Freewill

Bullshit
Cunt

If freewill exists, then God is not all knowing or all powerful, or omnipresent.

Either god is limited or he is unlimited.

so, the questions should be asked:

"Can I do something that god cannot know about"

If yes then freewill exists and god is limited. If no then everything that you have done was pre planned by God before the creation.

"Can I do something that god cannot stop?"

If yes then freewill exists and god is limited. If no then everything that you have done was pre planned by God before the creation.

If god knows everything, then he knew everything that would ever happen before he even created the universe. This means that not only was every single thing planned by this god, but that it ALREADY happened once already, since God has already experienced the future.

this means that God was well aware that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree, yet he put the tree there anyways.

Was he expecting a different result? Of course not. this is not consistent with the way we view this deity. Who wants to worship a stupid deity? god putting a tree of dangerous knowledge in the midst of ignorant humans and expecting them to control themelves isnt smart. You might as well place a cobra in the playpen of the child and blame the child for being bitten.

God WANTED Adam and Eve to eat the fruit.

Did god know that Lucifer would become a fallen angel before he created him? If he was all knowing, then yes. God knew Satan would be loosed upon the world if he created him as an angel, yet he created him anyways. Why? Because God obviously WANTED satan to do what he does. Not only that, but God, pre-knowing everything in existence, already gone through all of eternities existence at least ONCE before he created the universe.

FREEWILL at GC's restaurant ...

MENU

10oz. Angus Steak

10oz. Angus Steak (burnt to hard black charcoal)

Please do feel FREE to have whatever you WILL!

(...but I kinda wanted chicken)
[Image: Evolution.png]

(January 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote:

If freewill exists, then God is not all knowing or all powerful, or omnipresent.

Either god is limited or he is unlimited.

so, the questions should be asked:

"Can I do something that god cannot know about"

"Can I do something that god cannot stop?"

If god knows everything, then he knew everything that would ever happen before he even created the universe. This means that not only was every single thing planned by this god, but that it ALREADY happened once already, since God has already experienced the future.

this means that God was well aware that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree, yet he put the tree there anyways.

Was he expecting a different result? Of course not. this is not consistent with the way we view this deity. Who wants to worship a stupid deity? god putting a tree of dangerous knowledge in the midst of ignorant humans and expecting them to control themelves isnt smart. You might as well place a cobra in the playpen of the child and blame the child for being bitten.

God WANTED Adam and Eve to eat the fruit.

Did god know that Lucifer would become a fallen angel before he created him? If he was all knowing, then yes. God knew Satan would be loosed upon the world if he created him as an angel, yet he created him anyways. Why? Because God obviously WANTED satan to do what he does. Not only that, but God, pre-knowing everything in existence, already gone through all of eternities existence at least ONCE before he created the universe.

I know before I even write the first word to you that you will disagree with what I say, now does that make me all knowing, not in the least. Does that mean because of this knowledge it was pre-planned by me that you would disagree, I do not think so. God knew what would happen and yet gave man freewill, God also planned to sacrifice his Son for the redemption of man before he created, this plan was the only thing that was predestined, this is the love God has for man kind. Yes, because of God's nature you can reject him and he will not make you believe, this is freewill. Outside of choosing to believe or not is not truly freewill, it is the result of your choice.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
BRAIN in GC's head ...

(...but I kinda wish he had a second neuron to rub together with his first, so at least he would be entertaining)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1693 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2001 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 45834 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 6999 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Abiogenesis is impossible SavedByGraceThruFaith 1615 364694 May 2, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 21745 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6773 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 32453 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  You send yourself to hell! - God The Ultimate Judge xr34p3rx 70 14064 January 13, 2014 at 4:47 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12447 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook