Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination
In my personal experience, which I confess is probably only just big enough to be statistically significant, but I notice this pattern:

Atheists tend to be those that didn't get brought up with religious parents, but there are some who were Christians and now lack belief.

Christians have all been brought up by religious parents and/or school indocrination. There are none that were brought up without any indocrination.

Now this is just a general trend just form my observations, but it would imply all these Christians trying to convert the type of Atheists that haven't been indoctrinated are complety wasting their time. They'd have as much luck going into a Mosque and trying to convert them (although their are very rare occasions that this works, and vice versa).

Now there will be occasional exceptions to this, though a lot of the "I used to be an Atheist then I saw the light" brigade don't seem to know what an Atheist actually is and were brought up Christians and have always believed a God exists. There are also a few genuine Atheist turn Christians. From my experience they are very very rare (I've never met one), though you can find the odd story on the internet.
RE: Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination
(February 14, 2014 at 9:58 am)FreeTony Wrote: In my personal experience, which I confess is probably only just big enough to be statistically significant, but I notice this pattern:

Atheists tend to be those that didn't get brought up with religious parents, but there are some who were Christians and now lack belief.

Christians have all been brought up by religious parents and/or school indocrination. There are none that were brought up without any indocrination.

Now this is just a general trend just form my observations, but it would imply all these Christians trying to convert the type of Atheists that haven't been indoctrinated are complety wasting their time. They'd have as much luck going into a Mosque and trying to convert them (although their are very rare occasions that this works, and vice versa).

Now there will be occasional exceptions to this, though a lot of the "I used to be an Atheist then I saw the light" brigade don't seem to know what an Atheist actually is and were brought up Christians and have always believed a God exists. There are also a few genuine Atheist turn Christians. From my experience they are very very rare (I've never met one), though you can find the odd story on the internet.

Ahem, hello my name is Drich, can you and I be friends?
(February 14, 2014 at 9:58 am)FreeTony Wrote: Christians have all been brought up by religious parents and/or school indocrination. There are none that were brought up without any indocrination.

Simply not true.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(February 14, 2014 at 11:05 pm)Sejanus Wrote:
(February 14, 2014 at 9:58 am)FreeTony Wrote: Christians have all been brought up by religious parents and/or school indocrination. There are none that were brought up without any indocrination.

Simply not true.

Yes, there are those who have made terrible life choices, and get "saved" from their inability to make decisions, and think everyone else needs the same.
Quote:Ahem, hello my name is Drich, can you and I be friends?

Don't fall for that line of shit, Tony.
I will give the benefit of the doubt and say there are likely people who came to christianity or another religion as an adult that wasn't currently suffering from some crisis or incredibly low point in their lives. I will say I'm failry certain that most christians are those that were raised that way, or were so desperate for any hope that they clung to the beliefs of a nice person that took the time to help them. In other words, people who are mentally vulnerable for some reason. That's probably a big reason why it's claimed Jesus said it's very hard for a rich person to get into heaven.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 14, 2014 at 11:05 pm)Sejanus Wrote: Simply not true.

If you'd have read my whole post I said in my personal experience.

For people of my age group here in the UK being a Chrsitian is a minority position, so my experience could well be very different to yours. The most hardcore Christians I know are very moderate by American standards. They don't believe in hell, and are happy to marry/have sex with/be friends with Atheists. They have sex outside of marriage, and find Creationism and many other aspects of American Cristianity laughable. They also all have Christian parents.

(February 14, 2014 at 10:52 pm)Drich Wrote: Ahem, hello my name is Drich, can you and I be friends?

You were brought up with Atheist parents? You worship a God that is sending them to hell?
(February 15, 2014 at 7:32 am)FreeTony Wrote: You were brought up with Atheist parents? You worship a God that is sending them to hell?

Well that's true for me.

It's my offensive opinion that 99% of present day atheists (together with a lot of equally gullible Christians) if living in the middle ages would have been the Christians burning witches at the stake.
(February 15, 2014 at 9:26 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(February 15, 2014 at 7:32 am)FreeTony Wrote: You were brought up with Atheist parents? You worship a God that is sending them to hell?

Well that's true for me.

It's my offensive opinion that 99% of present day atheists (together with a lot of equally gullible Christians) if living in the middle ages would have been the Christians burning witches at the stake.

I find that first bit a little strange. I wouldn't worship anyone harming my parents based on their beliefs.

I don't find your second statement offensive, just ridiculous. I'm not sure what it has to do with the topic either, however I find your first statement a lot more worrying.
(February 15, 2014 at 9:26 am)fr0d0 Wrote:

Well that's true for me.

Actually, it would be the other way around, since many non-believers were, in fact, burned at the stake by Christians during the middle ages.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44120 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2001 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin Rhondazvous 231 58137 June 4, 2017 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Zenith
  School Indoctrination zebo-the-fat 4 1326 September 7, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6047 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6800 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Exclamation Without God You will Fail! Gods Squad 110 16836 October 19, 2015 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  How to prove Christianity is right without trying very hard Dystopia 6 3721 July 15, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  How to Prove Your Own Position without Trying Very Hard Randy Carson 59 11699 July 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity Nope 30 9742 June 11, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd