Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2026, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Ask a Narcoleptic
#7
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic
(June 1, 2015 at 12:31 am)ignoramus Wrote: Is that related to CFS?
Also, on a lighter note, if I start talking to you about how much better the horizontal rock crushers are, and you start yawning, I'll know it's not personal and I'll just keep nudging you, OK?

I don't know if it is related to CFS, but I don't think the medical community has made a connection.  The causes of CFS are largely unknown as far as I'm aware, and while narcolepsy is still being studied, there are secific things the brain does that can be labeled as narcaleptic, such as going into REM sleep withing 8 to 10 minutes of falling asleep,that are not associated with CFS.  For all I know, a lot of people diagnosed with CFS have mild narcolepsy though, it seems sometimes these things end up related.  
So, in short, maybe?

And yes, don't take it personal if my eyes glaze over when talk of horizontal rock crushers comes up, lol.  Nudging is fine. Smile

(June 1, 2015 at 12:39 am)Neimenovic Wrote: How do you handle it and does the sleepiness obstruct in normal functioning?

Yes, it totally obstructs normal functioning.  Back when I was working, I would fall asleep every day at lunch, and often on my 15 minute breaks as well, and I got teased pretty hard for it, but it was the only thing that made working even possible.  I needed the constant naps.  I kept losing jobs, even though employers would tell me I was the most organized and best workers they had, and did the work of 2 or 3 drafters, because I would miss work, or sleep though lunch on accident in my car.  It makes holding a regular job nigh on impossible.
If/when I get back into the workforce, I'm going to see if I can telecommunte.  I know other drafters that have done it. 

How I handle it, boy, that's a tough one.  Sometimes I don't handle it very well at all.  If I need to get something done I push through the sleepiness, but I pay for it later.  It causes me extreme anxiety AND depression, both things I've been misdiagnosed with IMO.  

Mostly I deal with it by taking naps when I feel like I need to. I am SO lucky I got onto disability, I don't know how other people with narcolepsy have a job and a family, becauae the meds are like speed, which is worse to me than the sleepiness.

Sometimes a nap is unavoidable, like, they just sort of happen to me.  And by nap, I mean 60 to 90 minutes. 10 to 15 minute power naps do shit all for me.  
I have pulled over and slept in my car.
I have slept in some very awkward situations.  I guess I just get used to it, and my friends and family just accept it now, too (though there is still teasing, lol).

Also, feel free to tease, it is a funny thing to have sometimes, so I won't get my feelings hurt.  Tongue  
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Ask a Narcoleptic - by Aroura - May 31, 2015 at 11:48 pm
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Pyrrho - May 31, 2015 at 11:52 pm
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Aroura - June 1, 2015 at 12:08 am
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by ignoramus - June 1, 2015 at 12:31 am
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Aroura - June 1, 2015 at 1:04 am
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Longhorn - June 1, 2015 at 12:39 am
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Kitan Etos - June 1, 2015 at 1:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Ask a firearms enthusiast deleted 41 24135 June 8, 2023 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ask someone completely disillusioned about Americanism. Jackalope 35 21010 March 21, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Ask a trans. Jehanne 20 14860 January 3, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Ask an Uber driver. Goosebump 1 4227 January 2, 2022 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Ask a critic T.J. 16 9548 January 2, 2022 at 5:19 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Ask a poor person BrokenQuill92 49 26938 December 9, 2021 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Ask a woman who just turned 50. Divinity 41 22384 November 30, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Ask a dog mom BrokenQuill92 16 11224 November 30, 2021 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Ask Eleven Kitan Etos 36 21248 June 26, 2021 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Frank Apisa
  [Serious] Ask an American expat Jackalope 12 7892 January 12, 2021 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)