Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 9:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
The only question that matters is: are people prepared to put their usual conclusions and beliefs aside and to work upwards from what we can observe and test? If those beliefs and conclusions are true, they can be reached without pre-supposing them, since they apparently already did this. If they can't then it is indicative of a problem, that holding onto these beliefs is more important than finding out what is actually true.

So it comes down to this: do you care about what is true?

You can never be objective or sceptical about anything while you hold pre-drawn conclusions that you will force the data to meet.

Am I perfect at doing this myself? Of course not, I'm a fucking shambles. But I try my best to make that my goal.

For those interested in truth, it is also important not to respond to questions about your beliefs with the tu quoque fallacy. This is a deflection, and an implicit admission that there are problems with your belief that you'd rather point out in others than address yourself. Of course we're told as atheists we have decided already God does not exist. For most of us, that is not the case, hence agnosticism so the tu quoque falls very flat. For Gnostics, they will generally have a pretty good case lined up which they will be happy to defend. But them defending it is still a deflection from the questions at hand.

For those not familiar, please read more about what tu quoque is here. It's a tactic that I sadly see an awful, awful lot. Probably second to the argument from ignorance. But both these tactics seem in some way to "come naturally" so I don't look down on people who fall foul of them because they are something I have to police in my own thinking. When it becomes dishonesty is when people continue to use the same tactics repeatedly after it has been explained why they are invalid.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. - by robvalue - June 4, 2015 at 3:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2442 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1429 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4125 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2955 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10274 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1827 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15387 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6330 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9782 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 19228 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer